This Asian Slaw is everything you know and love about classic slaw with a fantastic Asian twist! It’s made with an Asian Mayonnaise Dressing and crunchy noodles added for extra texture. I can’t get enough of this!
I’ve lost count of the number of times that friends have asked for advice for side salads for Asian (and Asian-esque!) menus. I think a lot of people know many mains and even starters but struggle with sides. In particular, salads. Unlike in Western countries, there really aren’t that many well-known Asian salads. Actually, I don’t even know many myself, except the really common ones like Thai Beef Salad. I don’t know the proper names for any Asian side salads – at least, not off the top of my head. So whenever I am asked for recipes for Asian salads, I provide my friends with recipes like this Asian Slaw – which, for clarity, is a Western dish with an Asian twist.
Like it? Pin this post to your SIDE DISH pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
So what makes this Asian? It’s the dressing! Mayonnaise is actually reasonably common in many Asian countries. What I like to do to give the classic coleslaw dressing an Asian twist is to add Sriracha which not only adds heat, it also adds some freshness to the dressing from the vinegar, as well as extra flavor from the garlic and seasonings in it.
AND it makes it a beautiful pink color which I love!
A dash of fish sauce for salt which adds great depth of flavor – far better than just using salt – and a squeeze of lime for more freshness.
This Asian Slaw is quite different to the usual slaw because the dressing is much lighter. Yes, it does have a decent amount of mayonnaise in it, but it’s much fresher and zingier rather than heavy and rich.
Hope you enjoy!
Want more coleslaw recipes?
- Bacon Broccoli Slaw
- Bahn Mi Slaw
- Carrot Apple Slaw
- Summer Coleslaw
- Classic Coleslaw
- More side dish recipes…
Tools used to make this Asian Slaw recipe
Mixing Bowls: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Wooden Spoon: Wooden spoons are a kitchen essential. I keep a bunch of them on hand for every meal from breakfast to dinner.
Salad Bowl: This wooden salad bowl is a gorgeous addition to any dinner table. I’ve had mine for years and love it!
- 16 oz Coleslaw mix or make your own with red & green cabbage and carrots
- 3 scallions finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup crunchy noodles
Asian Slaw Dressing
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sriracha or other chilli sauce adjust to taste
- 2 tsp fish sauce adjust to taste for saltiness, depends on mayo used
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice adjust to taste
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Mix together Dressing recipe in a bowl.
- Place Slaw ingredients in a large bowl except the crunchy noodles. Toss through with half the dressing. Set aside for 30 minutes to wilt slightly.
- Just before serving, toss through crunchy noodles and more Dressing, if desired.
- Transfer into salad bowl and garnish with extra cilantro.