How do you make meatballs even better? By smothering them in a gorgeous cheese sauce! I think you and these Cheesy Chicken Meatballs are going to be very good friends.
This Cheesy Chicken Meatballs recipe is basically a combination of two things I’m very fond of – meatballs and cheese sauce. Yes, it’s cheesy and yes it’s saucy. But it’s made using a roux, not cream, so it’s actually nowhere near as indulgent as it looks. And there is PLENTY of sauce here. Plenty. Because if we’re going to make a cheese sauce, let’s not skimp on it! Plus, I wanted to be sure there was plenty of sauce to toss pasta in, my favorite way of serving these meatballs.
CHEESY CHICKEN MEATBALLS
Love it? Pin it to your APPETIZER board to SAVE it!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest for more great recipes!
I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to try meatballs in a cheese sauce. It was just a thought that randomly popped into my head when I was making Mac and Cheese, and as I gathered ingredients from the fridge, I saw a packet of ground chicken. And the idea just hit me. So I made it the very next day. To say it was a massive hit is an understatement!
I really love meatballs because it’s such a fantastic way to use ground chicken. Ground meats generally are a favorite of mine because they are such great value and require zero chopping to use them. And they are so easy to add tons of flavor into! Especially with meatballs. The general rule is ground meat + egg + breadcrumbs + salt and pepper. Everything else in addition to this is extra flavor.
Because the sauce for these meatballs is the star of this recipe, I keep the meatballs fairly simple. But I do like to add parmesan cheese to them because I think it adds a super punch of flavor just with a few spoonfuls of it!
I hope you try this! I really think you’ll absolutely LOVE this!
Want more meatball recipes?
- Teriyaki Meatballs
- Cheese Stuffed Meatball Skillet
- Spicy Chicken Meatballs
- Peach Riesling Glazed Meatballs
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball Sliders
- Buffalo Chicken Balls with Blue Cheese
- More Appetizers Recipes…
- More Dinner Recipes…
Tools used in this Cheesy Chicken Meatballs recipe
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
- Place all Meatballs ingredients except oil in a bowl, and mix well with your hands.
- Measure out heaped tablespoons and roll into balls.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the meatballs and cook, browning all over, for 5 minutes. Remove meatballs into a bowl, then repeat with remaining batch.
- Reduce heat to medium and add butter. Once melted, add flour and mix to combine. Slowly add the milk, whisking as you go, until lump free. Then whisk in chicken broth. Whisk constantly as the liquid comes to heat, then whisk constantly once you start seeing steam.
- Once the sauce thickens, add cheese and stir until it melts. Then add mustard powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Return meatballs into the sauce, rolling them around to coat and warm through.
- Serve with pasta of choice!