CHEESE STUFFED MEATBALL SKILLET is a rich and hearty 30-minute dinner idea that will keep everyone coming back to for more!
Growing up my mother never made us meatballs for dinner. I always assumed I wasn’t a big fan of meatballs based on this and the fact that the only ones I had consumer were usually store bought ones that had the texture of a bouncy ball. I just can’t stand store-bought meatballs, no matter how convenient they are. I am usually all about convenience but in some cases it is totally worth taking the extra 20 minutes to do it right. This Cheese Stuffed Meatball Skillet is precisely one of those instances!
I only started making my own meatballs a year or two ago and I fell absolutely in love. The idea that I can add as much flavor and spice while creating a tender and moist meatball gets me seriously excited! I started out with a yummy Greek Meatball skillet that is full of feta and fresh veggies for an easy and healthy meal. I then moved on to my absolute favorite meal, Light Tomato Basil Meatball Soup. SO GOOD!
One evening while wanting something comforting, but always needing to add a twist to the meal I came up with this delicious Cheese Stuffed Meatball Skillet. I chose to stuff the meatballs with Havarti, a soft cheese that would melt well and be nice and gooey. Onions, Parmesan and spices finished off the great flavor and then they simmered in my favorite pasta sauce until they were ready to enjoy. It is a relatively easy meal that was just so darn good!
Serve them up with some mashed potatoes, rice, pasta or just enjoy them as they are for a low-carb meal!
- 1 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced or grated
- 1 egg
- ⅓ c. grated Parmesan
- ¼ c. quick oats
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Havarti cheese, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 24 oz. pasta sauce
- In a medium bowl, using your hands, combine the ground beef, half of the onion, egg Parmesan, oats, Dijon, paprika and salt. Once the mixture is evenly distributed, form small 1 inch meatballs.
- Press a 1/2" cube of the cheese into the center of each meatball and roll the meatball, so the cheese is completely covered with meat mixture.
- Once all of the meatballs are formed, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Arrange the meatballs in the skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, rotating every minute so each side is browned. Add the pasta sauce to the skillet and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or pasta.
More great meatball dinners!