This nostalgic Hot Dogs and Beans recipe is a quintessential comfort food dish that your entire family will enjoy!
Sweet and savory Hot Dogs and Beans is an easy recipe that makes a fantastic main dish or a delicious side. You simply can’t say no to bacon, hot dogs and baked beans seasoned and baked together to perfection in a sweet pineapple and brown sugar sauce!
NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT, YOU’RE GONNA LOVE IT
Hot Dogs and Beans, franks and beans, or beanie weenies– whatever you call this classic penny-pinching dish I can guarantee you haven’t tried a version as good as this one! Sweet, savory and full of comfort this super easy meal is always a hit.
Not all baked beans recipes are created equal, but Homemade Baked Beans or Aunt Patti’s BBQ Baked Beans are equally delicious!
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH HOT DOGS AND BEANS
- Broccoli Salad – This fresh, crunchy and sweet salad is a great fresh side to accompany baked beans.
- Honey Jalapeno Cornbread Drop Biscuits – These sweet and subtly spicy drop biscuits pair perfectly with these sweet beans.
Bacon: Perhaps the most important ingredient is the bacon! You’ll need 10 strips for this recipe.
Fruit and Veg: Use 1/2 of a peeled and chopped white onion and a 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple.
Seasoning: Jazz up these baked beans with ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ground dry mustard and chili powder.
Hot Dogs and Beans: Cut up 5 hot dogs into small slices and use 56 ounces (usually about 2 cans) of brown sugar baked beans.
HOW TO MAKE HOT DOGS AND BEANS
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Next, place a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon until it is crispy. Once the bacon is done, remove it to a paper towel lined plate and keep the bacon grease in the pan. Add the chopped onion to the bacon grease and sauté it until it’s soft and translucent. Lastly, dice the bacon and add it back into the skillet with the sautéed onion.
STEP TWO: Now add the ketchup, brown sugar, barbecue sauce, crushed pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard and chili powder to the skillet. Stir in the ingredients and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
STEP THREE: Add the hot dog slices and baked beans to the skillet and stir to combine.
STEP FOUR: Place the oven-safe skillet into the oven (or transfer the beans to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish). Cook the dish for 1 hour until it bubbles and then remove it from the oven. Serve warm and enjoy!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- You can just as easily omit the hot dog slices in this recipe if you just want awesome baked beans!
- Since canned hot dogs and beans aren’t going to cut it anymore you can consider making a batch of these and freezing it into individual portions to have on hand.
WHAT CAN YOU EAT WITH HOT DOGS AND BEANS
This Hog Dogs and Beans recipe is good enough to serve all by itself, but if you want to serve it with as part of a meal I recommend adding a side of cornbread and a salad. It also fits in perfectly as a side dish at summer barbecues next to a pile of ribs or slathered on a pulled pork sandwich.
HOW TO STORE HOT DOGS AND BEANS
If you have any leftovers simply store them in an airtight container once they’ve cooled down and place them in the fridge. They will keep in the fridge for up to three days. You can reheat them on the stovetop or in the microwave.
OTHER SAVORY SIDE DISHES
- Mini Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Parmesan Corn Casserole
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Baked Potato Salad
- Orzo Pasta Salad
- Cowboy Caviar
*This post was originally posted on 08/29/2013.
- 10 strips bacon
- 1/2 white onion peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup barbeque sauce
- 20 ounces canned crushed pineapple drained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 5 hot dogs cut into small slices
- 56 ounces canned brown sugar baked beans (2 cans)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place a large skillet (see note) over medium heat and cook the bacon until crispy, about 8 minutes. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep the bacon grease in the pan.
- Add the onion to the bacon grease and saute until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Dice the bacon and add it back into the skillet with the onion.
- Add the ketchup, brown sugar, barbeque sauce, crushed pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, ground mustard, and chili powder to the skillet. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the hot dogs and baked beans and stir to combine.
- Transfer everything to a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish. Cook for 1 hour until bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Leave a Reply