Slow Cooker Taco Chili is a great dish to make for a crowd or freeze the extras for a quick meal on a busy night!
When I think about feeding a crowd during the winter the first dish that comes to mind is chili. It’s so easy to make a lot, it’s pretty inexpensive and it’s so filling!! It’s also one of my favorite dishes to have in the freezer for go-to meals on busy (or lazy) nights. While my cousin was out visiting this past fall I decided to make chili for dinner. She primarily doesn’t eat meat and chili tends to be a meal that can work for veggies and non-veggies alike. As much as I love chili, it’s fun to play around with it and come up with other fun options. I tend to use ground turkey in my chili, but it needs seasoning more than beef. So I decided to season the turkey with taco spices and then kept going and added it to the chili. Then we topped our bowls of chili with our favorite taco toppings and Slow Cooker Taco Chili was born!
This is one of the best crock pot recipes to serve for a Super Bowl party. You can just set the slow cooker up on the food table with all the different toppings and let your guests create their dish. I even have more goodness coming using this Slow Cooker Taco Chili later this week! Even if you don’t have a huge crowd to cook for make the recipe as is and freeze it in one to two serving sizes. That way when you don’t have the time or you just don’t feel like cooking dinner you can pull it out warm it up and you have a delicious meal fast!!!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1.25 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-30 oz Tomato Sauce
- 3-15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3-15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp pepper, divided
- 3 tsp cumin, divided
- 3 tsp ground coriander, divided
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp chili pepper
- cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- purple onions, chopped
- fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- tortilla chips
- sour cream or non-fat Greek yogurt
- anything that you love on a taco
- heat olive oil in a large skillet over med high heat
- add ground turkey, breaking it up as it cooks
- season turkey with 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp, pepper, 1 tsp, cumin, and 1 tsp coriander
- when turkey is browned and cooked through add to dish of slow cooker
- add chopped onions to the hot skillet and cook 2-3 min, then add to the slow cooker dish
- pour remaining ingredients into slow cooker dish and stir
- (You could get to this stage the night before and store in the fridge until morning)
- cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. You're really just heating everything and allowing all the flavors to meld, everything is cooked
- serve with toppings and enjoy!!