If you like red velvet cake, you will LOVE these Red Velvet Cookies! This semi-homemade dessert starts with cake mix for an easy to make holiday treat!
I don’t know about you, but the holidays can get really hectic. Between all of the decorating, shopping, gift wrapping, and parties, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. To help ease some of the pressure, I look for shortcuts and tricks to make all my holiday tasks a little bit easier. These Easy Red Velvet Cookies are one of my favorite shortcut dessert recipes. Want to know how to bake red velvet cookies the easy way? Start with a boxed cake mix, add two to three simple ingredients to the mix, bake, and you have festive red velvet cookies!
RED VELVET COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Now I know you’re thinking, “Did you just say we’re making cookies using cake?” Yes, yes we are! I first had cake mix cookies years ago when my girlfriend and I were hanging out. She’d made some earlier in the day and I have a wicked sweet tooth. One bite and I was hooked. I had to have the recipe. When she told me how to make cookies from cake mix I couldn’t believe it! I made my own cake mix cookies the same week and I’ve been hooked ever since.
I think my favorite thing about these red velvet cookies is the deep-red color. It’s perfect for the holiday season and I absolutely love the chocolate flavor! You can serve them as is out of the oven, or drizzle them with cream cheese frosting…which is my favorite. You could even turn them into cake mix crinkle cookies and roll the dough balls in powdered sugar before baking. These cookies are a hit at parties and perfect for cookie swaps! And, I happen to have it on good authority that the big man in the red suit happens to love these cookies too!
Want more easy recipes using cake mix?
- Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- 5-Ingredient Banana Cupcakes
- Golden Pineapple Bundt Cake
- 4-Ingredient Chocolate Cake Batter Dip
- Strawberry Colada Dump Cake
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Red Velvet Cookies recipe
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Silicone Baking Mat: I use a silicone mat on my baking sheet practically everytime I bake. The mat makes for easy cleanup and my foods don’t stick to the pan.
Cookie Scoop: Cookie scoops are my favorite way to portion dough and batter when I’m baking. This set has 3 different sizes so I get the right amount in each scoop.
- 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream cheese frosting homemade or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, melted butter, and eggs until smooth.
- Use a cookie scoop to portion dough into 1-inch balls and place on your prepared baking sheets several inches apart. (These cookies spread a lot.)
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. (Cookies will puff up a bit in the oven and flatten as they cool.)
- Remove from oven and cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place frosting in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir frosting and check consistency; the frosting should flow off the spoon easily.
- Drizzle frosting over the cookies (I like to use a criss-cross pattern) while cookies are still on the wire rack. (Extra frosting will fall through and not stick to the cookies.) Reheat the frosting as needed to get a good drizzle going.
- Allow frosting to set before transfer to an airtight container to store. The frosting will be soft, but you can harden it up by placing the cookies in the fridge.
If you like this recipe, you might also like:
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!