Cake Mix Snickerdoodle Cookies are the fluffiest cinnamon sugar cookies ever! Ready in just 30 minutes for an easy last-minute dessert!
I love to bake, but sometimes the recipes get way too complicated. These Cake Mix Snickerdoodle Cookies are a quick and easy dessert made with a box of yellow cake mix and covered in cinnamon sugar. They’re a fantastic Christmas cookie too! You can also skip the boxed cake mix and make this cookie recipe with my Homemade Cake Mix!
CAKE MIX SNICKERDOODLE COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERTS board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Cookies out of cake mix are super fluffy and easy to make for last-minute company. I always keep yellow cake mix on hand now, that way I can whip up these cookies anytime I want!
These snickerdoodle cookies made with cake mix will last about 2 weeks in an airtight container. Or you can freeze them for up to 4 months. If frozen, simply thaw and enjoy!
What is a Snickerdoodle?
Through sometimes called sugar cookies, a snickerdoodle is a cookie all its own! These simple cookies are made with sugar, flour, and butter (or oil!) and rolled in cinnamon sugar. They can be soft or crunchy and is most popular in the United States.
This snickerdoodle cookie variation uses traditional ingredients plus cream of tartar, a couple of eggs, and vanilla extract. Instead of flour, I use a yellow box cake mix to make these snickerdoodle cookies super fluffy and light.
Snickerdoodle Cookie Ingredients
COOKIES: These cake mix cookies only need a few ingredients. They’re as simple as boxed yellow cake mix, cinnamon, cream of tartar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. There’s cinnamon in the batter in addition to the cinnamon sugar coating to give these snickerdoodle cookies a warm cinnamon flavor.
CINNAMON SUGAR: You can buy cinnamon sugar or save the money and easily make some at home! For my homemade cinnamon sugar, I use about 2 teaspoons of cinnamon for every 1/4 cup of sugar.
CREAM OF TARTAR: While you don’t need it for leveling, cream of tartar gives snickerdoodle cookies their classic tangy flavor and chewy texture! If you’re out of this rising agent or don’t like the taste, you can always skip it.
How to Make Cake Box Snickerdoodle Cookies
- First, preheat your oven and prep your sheet pans. You can use parchment paper, silicone baking mats, or cooking spray. I usually use two baking sheets for this recipe to give the cookies room.
- Then, mix together your dry ingredients – boxed cake mix, cinnamon, and cream of tartar.
- Once combined, add the eggs, vanilla, and oil into the dry ingredients. Mix by hand until thoroughly combined and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.
- If you’re making homemade cinnamon sugar, mix that together in a small bowl while the dough rests.
- When the dough is ready, shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls of dough in your cinnamon sugar mixture. Be sure to leave at least 2 inches between the cookies, they’re going to spread.
- Now, bake the cookies until the edges are just slightly set but still light and fluffy, and soft. If the cookies overbake, they will become crumbly and cake-like. Let the cookies rest a few minutes on the pan before moving to a cooling rack.
Resting the dough is an important step in this recipe! This step makes the dough easier to work with and gives the cookies the best soft and chewy texture.
If you wanna add some seasonal flavor to your snickerdoodle cookies, swap out pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice for the cinnamon!
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Cake Mix Bars
- 5-Ingredient Banana Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake Batter Dip
- Cake Mix Cherry Cheesecake
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins
- More DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Cake Mix Snickerdoodle Cookies recipe
Silicone baking mat: These are an amazing baking tool that saves on parchment paper. It’ll release your homemade cookies or sheet pan dinners like it’s nothing!
Baking sheets: I always use two baking sheets for this snickerdoodle cookie recipe because it makes 18 cookies. These are my go-to baking sheets because they’re tough with a great nonstick coating.
- 15.25 ounces yellow cake mix (1 box)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, a silicone baking mat, or non-stick cooking spray.
- Add cake mix 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and cream of tartar to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add eggs vanilla, and oil to dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon in a small dowl.
- Once the cookie dough is ready, use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to portion the dough. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and then roll the balls in cinnamon-sugar until coated.
- Place coated dough balls on prepared baking sheets, leaving 2-inches between cookies. They will spread.
- Bake for about 12 minutes until the edges are slightly set. The cookies will still look puffy and soft.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
HORRIBLE! 🥴😳🙄😣😯🤨🤔….go and find a snickerdoodle cookie recipe and make them from scratch.
Margo — What a foolish comment! Why is the recipe “horrible”? Why should anyone heed your warning when you give no reason?