This Grilled Pesto Chicken Sandwich is delicious topped with a pesto mayonnaise, roasted bell pepper, and purple onion!
GRILLED PESTO CHICKEN SANDWICH
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I have been making this sandwich for dinner in the summer for a few years now. I’ve said this before, but I make a lot of chicken sandwiches in the summer to get out of the hot kitchen and enjoy the pool with the kids while I make dinner. I love my grill during the summer and it always gets a workout.
My mom used to make grilled pesto chicken while we grew up and it was the first type of chicken I ever made. We’d eat it for dinner with our favorite side dishes, chopped up on salads, and as a sandwich. I may have even eaten leftover pesto chicken cold, right out of the fridge a time or two.
Having this chicken on a sandwich with the roasted bell pepper and onion kicks it up a notch for a yummy variation. The flavors come together beautifully! I also make a pesto mayonnaise that works on this sandwich, and as the perfect dipping sauce for the Baked Rosemary Sweet Potatoes that always go along side.
What are your favorite grilled meals?
- 4 chicken breasts
- 16 ounces basil pesto sauce
- 12 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 medium purple onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 crusty, sturdy buns
- marinate the chicken breast in half of the pesto sauce
- grill chicken breast until cooked through
- remove and allow to rest for 5 min while you prepare the rest of the sandwich
- in a small bowl combine mayo with 4 tablespoons of pesto
- spread mayonnaise on the buns
- place chicken on bun and top with roasted pepper and sliced onion