Spicy Garlic Shrimp has bold flavors and only takes 10 minutes from start to finish! This is the best shrimp dish I’ve ever had, hands down!
A great shrimp recipe always feels like a splurge, am I right? And this Spicy Garlic Shrimp is the best! Using just a pound of large shrimp, some butter, lemon, and a generous sprinkle of seasonings, this no-mess, no-stress meal is far more delicious than anything you’ll order at a restaurant!
The Best Shrimp Recipe for All the Reasons!
Spicy Garlic Shrimp is one of my all-time favorite recipes for several reasons!
One, because it’s scrumptious! Truly. The lemony garlic butter enhances the flavor of this shrimp PERFECTLY.
Two, because of the WOW factor. I mean, who isn’t impressed when shrimp is on the menu?
Three, it’s versatile. Serve it with parmesan rice. Pasta. Zoodles. Spaghetti squash. It can be keto or gluten-free, and it’s naturally low in calories.
And four, it’s just so EASY. I always have a bag of shrimp in the freezer, so… Five minutes to prep. Five minutes to cook. One skillet. This recipe is a win!
Other Recipes to Serve with Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Cheesy Zucchini Rice brings veggies and carbs together deliciously! It’s the perfect side dish for Spicy Garlic Shrimp.
- This Easy Fried Rice is my go-to accompaniment for lemon garlic shrimp – the kids love it!
- If you want to get a little fancy with little effort, try this Lemon Asparagus Pasta or these Parmesan Truffle Roasted Potatoes!
Shrimp: You have several options when it comes to buying shrimp. Always start with “wild caught”. Fresh or frozen is up to you. Make sure it’s thawed before cooking. Buying “peeled and deveined” saves a ton of work. Finally, large or extra-large shrimp are suitable for this recipe.
Oil: A good quality olive oil makes this dish shine.
Seasoning: Use some fresh-grated lemon zest, finely minced garlic, and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, depending on your spice preference.
Finish: Top the shrimp with lemon juice and sprinkle with parsley or cilantro before serving.
How to Make Spicy Garlic Shrimp
STEP ONE: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Season the shrimp with a dash of salt & pepper, then toss it into the hot skillet and cook for 3 minutes until the shrimp are pink and opaque.
STEP TWO: Add garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Cook for another minute or two.
STEP THREE: Just before removing, add lemon juice and garnish with parsley, then serve!
Tips for Success
- Don’t overcook the shrimp. Shrimp cooks so fast that leaving it in the skillet for a few minutes is tempting. Doing so will result in tough, rubbery shrimp.
- Prep ahead! Collect all of the ingredients before cooking. This recipe sautés quickly – don’t take your focus away from it to search, chop, or measure something else!
- Have the rest of the meal “ready to go” when you start the shrimp. If pasta is being served, time it so the pasta is drained just before the shrimp goes in the skillet.
- This shrimp is all on its own, but if you like to dip, mix up some Yum Yum Sauce. It’s the perfect pairing for seafood!
How Many Calories Are in Shrimp?
Shrimp are SUPER low in calories, making them a fantastic low-calorie, high-protein food! Even this Spicy Garlic Shrimp recipe, with the oil added, is only 147 calories a serving! (And that’s a nice-sized portion of shrimp!)
Is Spicy Garlic Shrimp the same as Shrimp Scampi?
Spicy Garlic Shrimp is a simple shrimp dish with a few delicious seasonings. Shrimp Scampi involves butter and a white wine sauce and is usually served over linguine. They’re both fantastic!
Other Impressive & Easy Seafood Recipes!
*This post was originally posted on 05/31/2016.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- Stir in the garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Add the lemon juice and parsley and toss to coat before serving warm.