These Molasses Sugar Cookies are the perfect flavor for Christmas. They have the taste of a gingerbread and the softness of a sugar cookie!
These holiday Molasses Sugar Cookies are my all time favorite! They scream Christmas to me. They have the flavors of a ginger snap but they’re slightly chewy and soft! like my favorite sugar cookie! I made my first batch of the season yesterday and they were gone by dinner! This Molasses Sugar Cookies recipe is a holiday tradition at my house and I know it will be at your’s too!
MOLASSES SUGAR COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I like to eat fresh cookies and a large variety of different cookies. My game plan every year is to find cookie doughs that can be refrigerated for a couple of days and then scooped out to bake when I’m ready. That way on the weekends, or when I have free time, I can mix up a batch and then store the cookie dough until I’m ready to bake. Because at my house, let’s face it, whether there are 4 cookies or 4 dozen cookies on my counter they’ll be eaten in a day! Having the dough prepped and ready stops me, I mean the elves, from eating too many cookies in a day since I can just make a few at a time and replace the dough in the fridge.
Want more sugar cookie recipes?
- Slice and Bake Sugar Cookies
- Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Coconut Margarita Sugar Cookies
- Lime Sugar Cookies
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Molasses Sugar Cookies recipe
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Silicone Mat: I use a silicone mat on my baking sheet practically everytime I bake. The mat makes for easy cleanup and my foods don’t stick to the pan.
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
- 1 1/2 c shortening I've substituted butter but you don't get the softness
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c molasses
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 4 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t ginger
- 1 t ground cloves
- extra sugar in a bowl
- cream shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy
- add egg one at a time until incorporated
- add molasses
- in a med bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves
- add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients 1/4 at a time
- put into an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- pour sugar into a shallow bowl
- roll 1 inch sized balls of dough then roll in sugar to coat completely
- place on baking sheet 2 inches apart
- bake for 10 min
- remove and cool on a wire rack
- cookies will crinkle and crack as they cool