COCONUT MARGARITA SUGAR COOKIES are insanely good! Lime zest, coconut tequila and sugar make the best cookie for summer!
Cinco de Mayo is the first signal of summer for me. Living in Arizona and California the last ten plus years I have had a lot of Mexican food and to me it really is the food of summer. Sitting outside with chips and salsa, a margarita and carne asada is my best summer day! So when Cinco de Mayo comes along and we start to make more margaritas and eat yummy food I get pretty excited but now that I’ve tasted Coconut Margarita Sugar Cookies I’m beyond excited, I’m overjoyed!!!
I’ve made lime sugar cookies and lemon sugar cookies and was trying to decide between them when I thought it would be amazing to add some tequila into them for a fun adult treat. If the kids got into these it wouldn’t be the end of the world because the alcohol bakes off but I still let my kids know so they didn’t go eating any of these amazing cookies and I got more to myself!!! When I went to grab my tequila I saw that I still had some coconut tequila from making Pineapple Coconut Margaritas and Pina-Ritas! This was an amazing discovery because the addition of coconut makes the cookies crazy, insanely good! My husband tried a bite of the batter and then let me know that I’m a genius! I knew I was on to something then!
I decided to up the margarita in these cookies by sprinkling them with some kosher salt as they came out of the oven before they had time to cool. I didn’t go crazy with the salt just a tad and it really was fantastic! It was like sipping on my favorite drink in dessert form!
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- in a medium bowl whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt, lime zest and flour
- in a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add egg, coconut extract, lime juice and coconut tequila
- add the flour mixture, a cup at a time, and stop once combined
- roll 2 tbsp into a ball and place onto the baking sheet, keeping them 2 inches apart
- bake for 13-15 minutes or until just barely browned on the bottom
- remove from the oven and sprinkle with kosher salt, if using
- allow to cool (if you can)
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!