Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage is so easy to make and is a delicious addition to your breakfast lineup! This sweet & savory sausage patty is amazing!
Breakfast sausage is a staple to every family, but the store-bought options are often so high in fat and blah in flavor. These Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage patties are a quick and easy breakfast dish with less fat than your average breakfast sausage and a fresh flavor from the apples and onions!
There are so many things I’m going to be doing with this sausage now that I know how easy it is! Looking for more savory apple recipes? Use this same chicken sausage in our Apple Sausage Stuffing for a holiday hit or homemade favorite!
HOMEMADE CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I love a sweet and savory combination, and the sweet and slightly bitter bite of the apple mixed with the savory onions, chicken, and seasoning mix bring a new depth of flavor to these breakfast sausages that you won’t find at the store!
My kids love when they see me peeling apples first thing in the morning because they know I’m making Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage!
This homemade recipe hands down beats the Aidells chicken apple sausage in my book… But that’s me. 🙂
These chicken sausage patties have so much tasty flavor and a tiiiny kick from the cayenne pepper. You can absolutely leave that out, but I like the hint of sweetness with a touch of heat.
Ingredients for Chicken Apple Sausage
- Coconut oil
- Yellow onion
- Apples — I prefer a crisp green Granny Smith apple when cooking, but any apple will work
- Ground chicken
- Ground sage
- Fennel seeds
- Salt and pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper – a little goes a long way!!
The seasonings really make this chicken sausage pop! The sage, fennel, paprika, and cayenne blend well with the chicken, similarly to a holiday stuffing blend and make these breakfast sausages sing. Use the cayenne to your own preferred level if necessary, but don’t skimp on the rest.
My sausage is a patty, not a link. I want to make this as easy as possible, and homemade Chicken Apple Sausage recipes are totally that! If you can slice an apple and make hamburgers, I promise you can make these breakfast sausage patties!
How to Make Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage
- Heat your coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook for a couple of minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chopped and peeled apple and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Move apples and onions to a bowl and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add everything else to the bowl and mix with your hands to combine all ingredients well.
- Form 8 equal patties with the mixture.
- Cook patties over medium heat for about 3 minutes per side or until the patties are golden brown and cooked through. For chicken, a 165 degrees F internal temperature is recommended.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
How to make your own chicken sausage
Sometimes I can’t find ground chicken at the store to make my chicken sausage, but luckily it’s easy to make yourself with just a few cuts of chicken and a food processor!
Sausage needs a decent amount of fat content within the meat, so dark meat chicken works better here than light meat. Boneless thighs are the best option, but you can also use leg meat or add some light meat to the mixture as well if you’re breaking down a whole chicken for this.
Remove all bones and skin from your chicken and add it to your food processor. Use a pulse until the chicken is broken down a little bit, then process at full speed until ground. Add this to your apples and onions, and you’re good to go! This is also a great way to know exactly what’s in your ground chicken.
What to Cook with Chicken Apple Sausage
My family loves these Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage patties on a biscuit before school or alongside a standard continental breakfast of eggs and toast on a weekend morning. The beauty of these sausage patties is the flavor blend lends itself well to lots of side dishes and combinations.
This dish screams breakfast but it also works for dinner! This Chicken Apple Sausage and Sweet Potato Hash is delicious in the morning or at night. A lemony pasta dish covered with chicken apple sausage pieces would also be a quick and delicious dinner treat!
Looking for more breakfast ideas?
- Cheesy Broccoli Ham Pepper Frittata
- Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Cinnamon Roll Coffee Cake
- Spinach Mushroom Feta Crustless Quiche
- French Toast Bake with Fruit
- More breakfast recipes
Tools used to make Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage
Food Processor: If you’re going to make your own ground chicken (or other ground meat!) regularly and don’t want to invest in a meat grinder, I recommend this food processor highly! It’s sturdy and reliable to get through thick solids while finely chopping things like nuts or veggies too!
Mixing Bowls: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have the right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Large Skillet: This skillet is my go-to kitchen tool. It’s large circumference and high sides make it perfect for cooking anything from one pan meals to soups and sauces.
*This post originally posted on 08/31/2014.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until onions become translucent.
- Add chopped apple and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove onion and apple mixture to a medium bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add ground chicken, ground sage, fennel seed, salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne to the bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Form ground chicken mixture into 8 equal patties.
- Cook sausage patties over medium heat in the same skillet for about 3 minutes per side. When the patties are done, they will be golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. I usually cook 4 patties at a time, working in batches.
- Remove patties from the skillet and serve warm.