Cheesy Broccoli Ham and Pepper Frittata is a protein-packed, quick breakfast meal that will keep you satisfied for hours!
Many people start off their day with a hot cup of coffee and a good stretch. I, on the other hand, like to start my day with a veggie-filled breakfast to give me that same burst of energy from a coffee and stretch. Cheesy Broccoli Ham & Pepper Frittata is the ultimate breakfast meal. (My family also loves these egg muffins, they’re perfect for busy school mornings on the go!)
This breakfast frittata is loaded with yummy veggies, packed with salty ham, and rounded out with tons of protein from scrambled eggs and melted cheese. This meal makes me feel like a morning warrior – ready to take on anything the day throws at me!
CHEESY BROCCOLI HAM & PEPPER FRITTATA
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I am a true breakfast lover. I love french toast, adore apple cinnamon streusel pancakes, and swoon over bacon, sausage, and cheddar quiche. The problem is these are all SUPER carb-heavy and sugar-filled meals.
They sometimes leave me feeling drowsier and lazier than when I woke up! I need an energizing breakfast that is going to help me power through until lunchtime.
Now don’t get me wrong. I totally indulge in these breakfast treats (probably more often than I should), but sometimes I want a delicious breakfast that is truly a great start to my morning. Not just great for my tastebuds, but great for my body too.
Eggs are a powerhouse when it comes to breakfast foods. They’re packed with vitamins, protein, and healthy fats. These are all such important nutrients to incorporate into your breakfast because (as everyone’s mom always says) breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
There’s nothing better than starting out your day with a healthy breakfast that will keep you full and satisfied until lunch. No more mid-morning snacking because this egg frittata has it all: veggies, meat, protein, and cheese all wrapped up into the perfect breakfast meal.
Ingredients for Cheesy Broccoli Ham & Pepper Frittata
- Large eggs
- Egg whites
- Salt & Pepper
- Smoked ham
- Roasted red pepper
- Broccoli florets
- Green onion
- Shredded Cheddar
One of the best things about this frittata recipe is that it is really customizable to whatever your tastes are or whatever you happen to have on hand at home!
If you’re not a huge fan of spice, skip the jalapeno.
You’re a vegetarian? Leave out the ham!
You’ve got some asparagus sitting in the fridge that needs to be used up? Throw it in!
I love the flavor combination that the peppers, broccoli, and jalapeno give, but feel free to mix it up however you’d like.
How to Make a Frittata
There are tons of people out there who swear by their cast-iron skillet. I never really understood it. To me, it seemed like there were too many rules (keep it seasoned, don’t use soap, don’t let it touch another pan, don’t look at it the wrong way…. you know what I mean).
But, recently my tune has totally changed. I tried it out and I’m never looking back! If you’ve got a cast-iron skillet, make your broccoli frittata in it. I promise you, it’s life-changing.
If you don’t have one (or you do have one and you’re too scared of all the rules so it’s just sitting in a cabinet longing to be used…) any oven-safe pan will work!
- Start by preheating your oven to broil (you’ll use the broiler at the end to give your frittata that delicious crisp on top!)
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper together.
- Add ham, red pepper, broccoli, green onion, and jalapeno to the egg mixture and mix well
- Place an ovenproof skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Next, pour the egg mixture into the skillet, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes. You’ll know you’re ready for the next step when the edges of the frittata are cooked – don’t worry, it shouldn’t be cooked all the way through yet.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of egg mixture (feel free to be as generous with the cheese as you’d like to be)
- Now, place the skillet under a broiler for 2-5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the middle is completely cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. This step helps to solidify the frittata so it doesn’t just fall apart!
- Slice and enjoy!
What is a Frittata?
Much like an omelette, a frittata is an egg-based dish with yummy mix-ins like veggies, meats, and cheeses. The texture is sort of like a quiche, but without a crust (which makes it about a million times healthier)! Most egg frittata recipes are cooked directly in a skillet, so it’s a one-pan delicious meal you can have for breakfast, brunch, or lunch!
Now that I’ve got you hooked on breakfast foods, check out some of these other Real Housemoms favorites!
- Cheesy Bacon & Jalapeno Hash Browns
- Easy Blackberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast
- Breakfast Ham Casserole
- Overnight Caramel French Toast
- Tomato Arugula Goat Cheese Fritatta
- more BREAKFAST recipes…
Tools used to make this Cheesy Broccoli Ham & Pepper Frittata recipe
Whisk: a good wire whisk is essential for so many breakfast dishes!
Cast iron skillet: I’m a total cast iron convert. I might have to write a whole blog post about recipes using cast iron!
*This post originally published on 02/07/2013.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, egg whites, salt, and pepper.
- Add ham, red pepper, broccoli, green onion, and jalapeno to the eggs. Mix well.
- Place an ovenproof skillet (like cast iron) over medium heat and melt butter.
- Add egg mixture to the skillet. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes on the stovetop. (Check to see that the edges are cooked)
- Sprinkle cheese over top of the frittata. Place skillet under the broiler for 2-5 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the middle is completely cooked.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.