OH MY GOODNESS! My mom and I made these incredible pulled pork sandwiches while they were visiting us in Arizona. They were exceptional and I will be making them again soon! After some prep work, the crock pot took over and the aroma throughout the house was amazing! Pulled pork sandwiches were very kid friendly. My seven year old ate one and a half sandwiches, while my four year old ate a half, and then some extra meat without the bread. This recipe made a large amount of pork, but the leftovers were just as delicious!
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 large onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chili sauce such as Heinz
- 1 1/2-3 teaspoons minced chipotle chile in adobo sauce see notes
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder or blade butt roast, trimmed
- fresh rolls
- shredded cabbage coleslaw mix
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 3 to 6 minutes
- Add sugar and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the onions are golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes more
- Add garlic, oregano, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, for 1 minute
- Add vinegar and bring to a boil
- Cook until mostly evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute
- Remove from the heat and stir in chili sauce and chipotle to taste
- Place pork in a 4-quart (or larger) slow cooker and cover with the sauce Cover and cook until the pork is almost falling apart, about 3-4 hours on High or 7-8 hours on Low
- Transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred using two forks
- Stir back into the sauce
- Serve on fresh rolls with the shredded cabbage/coleslaw mix
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!