Slow cookers are not just for the fall and winter. This Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Pork is an easy and delicious dinner at any time of the year!
When it is 100 degrees outside, the last thing I want to do is stand over a hot stove or have the oven going all afternoon. As much as I love a good salad or sandwich, they can get boring after a while. We grill a lot, but this summer I have also been using my slow cooker. A lot. As in my slow cooker is going pretty much every day of the week to make the best crock pot recipes.
I can throw everything in the slow cooker in the morning before the day gets busy and then head to the pool with the kids in the afternoon. After a day of fun in the sun, our dinner is ready and waiting for us.
This slow cooker sweet and sour pork is as easy as dialing for takeout, uses only 7 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), and is so much better than anything you can order out if you ask me. We love this served over rice, but I bet it would be delicious in lettuce wraps too. I think I may just try that for lunch today.
You can cube the pork if you like, but I love to cook the roast whole, and then shred the meat just before serving. Either way this slow cooker sweet and sour pork is sure to be a hit with your entire family.
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin seasoned with salt and pepper
- 8 ounce can of pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- optional green onion for garnish
- drain your pineapple - saving the juice and chunks in separate bowls
- add your seasoned pork to the slow cooker
- top with pineapple juice, brown sugar, vinegar, and soy sauce
- cover and cook on low for 8 hours or cook on high for 4 hours
- thirty minutes before serving shred the pork, combine the water with cornstarch and stir into the pork, and add the reserved pineapple chunks and bell pepper
- cover and cook the remaining 30 minutes
- serve sweet and sour pork over rice and top with diced green onions