It seems to be making a great comeback. I remember when it was big in the 80’s. I was too young to cook but I remember eating them. I remember asking someone when I was little what a quiche was after hearing it and being told that it was an egg pie. That was probably the worst and yet pretty accurate description of a quiche. I was hesitant to try after that because I kept picturing a sweet dessert pie of egg. Once I got over that and had a bite I LOVED it. It was a special occasion food that was made for guests.
Quiche are so great because they’re so versatile and can be made a head of time. They can look pretty fancy too! If you make it in a tart pan you’ll get the beautiful fluted look to the crust. I used my new tart pan but every time I’d go to take a picture of a slice it would be eaten. So all I have to show you today is the picture I snapped while it was cooling.
This bacon, sausage and cheddar quiche was so basic and delicious! The flavors of the bacon, sausage and cheddar really make it a very many quiche and perfect for a crowd. I mean, really, you’ve got bacon, sausage and cheddar cheese in one egg dish! No one could pass that up.
- 1 uncooked pie crust for a 9 inch pie
- 8 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1/2 c sausage crumbles cooked
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 c milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- cook the bacon until just before crispy
- while bacon is cooking melt butter in a large saucepan and add the onion
- allow to cook until a dark golden brown, stirring occasionally
- remove from heat and allow to cool
- whisk eggs, cream, and milk together until fluffy
- add in salt, pepper and mustard powder
- stir in the bacon, sausage, onion and cheese
- press the crust into a tart pan or a deep dish pie pan
- pour the egg mixture into the pie crust and place onto a baking dish
- loosely cover with foil and place in the oven
- bake for 40 min
- remove the foil and bake for another 10 to 15 min until crust is golden
- remove and allow to cool for 5 to 10 min
- slice and enjoy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!