As I write this I’m looking out my window at a beautiful sunny day. Temperatures are in the 70’s and there’s a bit of a breeze. I’m so excited!!! This time of year thoughts turn to spending time outside and making fun, bright foods, like lemony treats. I like to sip on real fresh lemonade every once in awhile and the kids get a kick making it with me. That is exactly what came to mind when I took a bite of these delicious Lemon Sugar Cookies.
Lemon Sugar Cookies are the perfect spring or summer sugar cookie. They’ve got so much lemon flavor with the lemon extract AND fresh lemon zest. I loved that you could see the flecks of lemon zest in the cookies too. The edge of the cookies is a bit crispy but the inside is perfectly chewy, and the chewiness lasted a few days too! I was going to be good and only have one and then give the rest away but then I had another, and another, and another until I had a stomach ache. I had absolutely NO self control when it came to these Lemon Sugar Cookies.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp pure lemon extract
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- in a medium bowl whisk together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour
- in a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- add egg, vanilla, lemon extract and lemon zest
- add the flour mixture, a cup at a time, and stop once combined
- roll 2 tbsp into a ball and place onto the baking sheet, keeping them 2 inches apart
- bake for 13-15 minutes or until just barely browned on the bottom
- allow to cool (if you can)
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!