Sweet, chewy, and bursting with bright lemon flavor, Lemon Sugar Cookies are a springtime favorite! Whip up a batch now to brighten your day!
This easy sugar cookie recipe is a lemon lover’s dream. The cookies have so much lemon flavor (the recipe uses lemon extract AND fresh lemon zest). I especially love that you can see the little flecks of lemon zest in the cookies.
The edge of the cookies is a bit crispy but the inside is perfectly soft and chewy. The chewiness lasts a few days too (no need to eat them all in one day)! If you’re a fan of homemade sugar cookies, but NOT a fan of lemon, check out this plain Sugar Cookie recipe. You won’t be disappointed!
LEMON SUGAR COOKIES
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Spring has officially sprung and I couldn’t be happier about it. While we had a relatively mild winter this year, it still seemed to last forever. The cold, dreary, gray skies were kind of a downer. BUT, with spring comes chirping birds, blooming flowers, and LEMON COOKIES!
For whatever reason, I always save my favorite lemon recipes for spring and summertime. Something about the citrus zing hits me just right in warm weather. (I live off of pumpkin and peppermint in the fall and winter!) Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins, Lemon Bars, Lemon Blueberry Icebox Cake – my list of lemony favorites goes on and on and on.
My boys and I love making homemade lemonade every year. The taste of these delicious lemon cookies reminds me so much of our fresh lemonade. The perfect amount of sweet with a pop of zesty citrus. YUM!
Whether you need cookies for a bake sale, for sharing with a friend, or simply for your own enjoyment – Lemon Sugar cookies are sure to be your new favorite!
Ingredients for Lemon Sugar Cookies
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon extract – not fresh lemon juice. If you don’t have lemon extract available, substitute more lemon zest instead. Use 2 teaspoons of zest for every 1 teaspoon of extract.
- Lemon zest
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
One of my dreams has always been to have my own lemon tree. Imagine it… fresh-squeezed lemonade whenever I wanted it? Heavenly.
But, I’m not the best with plants. So instead of pulling a lemon from my dream tree, I grab a lemon or two from the grocery store make these cookies. Everything else you need for this easy sugar cookie recipe is a pantry staple!
How to Make Sugar Cookies
Lemon Sugar Cookies are simple, quick, and so worth the wait. With about 15 minutes of prep, 15 minutes of baking, and 5 minutes of cooling, you’ll have yourself a batch of the perfect springtime treat!
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and flour.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (I like to use my stand mixer for this step so that I can continue prepping, but a hand mixer works just as well).
- Add egg, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest. to the creamed butter and sugar.
- Next, add the flour mixture, a cup at a time, and stop once combined. You don’t want to over-mix the dough or the cookies won’t be as chewy as you want them to be!
- Now, roll 2 tbsp of dough into a ball and place onto the baking sheet. Be sure to keep the cookies about 2 inches apart. They do spread a bit as they bake!
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until just lightly browned on the bottom.
- Allow the cookies to cool on a wire cooling rack. Yes, it’s hard to wait because the scent of these cookies is going to make your mouth water!
Can you freeze Sugar Cookies?
YES!!! Sugar cookies are some of the BEST cookies to freeze!
You have two options: freeze the dough before baking it OR freeze your already baked cookies. (Then you have cookies on demand!)
- To freeze the dough: follow the recipe instructions through step 5. Once all the dough is combined, roll it out into a disk and wrap it with plastic wrap. Pop it in the freezer and you’re good to go!
When you’re ready to bake your lemon sugar cookies, pull out your dough and let it thaw on the counter for a few hours. Then start back up with step 6!
- To freeze baked cookies: allow your cookies to cool completely. Once they’ve cooled, place them in layers (separated by parchment paper) in an air-tight container.
Now you’ve got delicious lemon sugar cookies whenever you get a craving! If you’ve got the time, allow the cookies to defrost on the counter for a few hours. If you’re in a rush – pop a cookie or two in the microwave for a few seconds!
Looking for more springtime inspired treats? Check out these other Real Housemoms classics!
- White Chocolate Cherry Pudding Cookies
- Chewy Monster Cookies
- Strawberry Jello Cake
- Lemon Cake
- Keto Chocolate Chip Cookie Fat Bombs
- more DESSERT recipes…
Tools used to make this Lemon Sugar Cookies recipe
Stand mixer: I love my stand mixer. It’s a gorgeous countertop item and it is super useful! While not a necessity for this recipe, it definitely makes life easier.
Mixing bowls: You’ll need a medium bowl and a large bowl for this recipe. (Unless you’re using the bowl from your stand mixer!) This set of nesting mixing bowls is perfect!
*This post originally posted on 04/12/2014.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, vanilla, lemon extract, and lemon zest to the butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Add the flour mixture, one cup at a time, to the wet ingredients mixing until just combined after each addition.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of cookie dough into a ball and place onto the baking sheet, keeping them 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies for 13-15 minutes or until just barely browned on the bottom.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack. (If you can wait that long!)