Serve Frog Eye Salad at your next barbecue party for a yummy, sweet, fruit-filled side dish that will be the talk of the party!
I don’t know about you, but I always have a hard time thinking of a side to bring to a barbecue. There’s baked beans, potato salad, pasta salad, chips… and then there’s this Frog Eye Salad. Nope. There are NO actual frog eyes in this salad. Ewww!
FROG EYE SALAD
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
So what are those little balls in there? It’s not tapioca, it’s pasta! Acini Di Pepe is basically just spaghetti noodles chopped up into tiny pieces so that when cooked, they swell up into little balls that I guess someone thought looked like frog eyes. It looks and tastes a lot more like tapioca to me but I haven’t ever had frog eyes or frog eggs. All I can say is this salad is delicious and is more like a dessert.
Don’t you love when something pretty unhealthy is disguised with a name that makes it seem healthier and okay to eat as part of your meal even though it’s more like a dessert? That way you can still have an official dessert so in a way you get to eat two desserts. You know what I’m talking about– muffins (really just cupcakes without frosting), jello salad, waffles (loaded with butter and drenched in sugar). Did you know there is even a thing called Snicker’s Salad?! Crazy… awesome!
Besides pasta in this salad, the creamy mixture is made up of pineapple juice, eggs, sugar and a few other things. You cook it up until thickened like a custard. It is then mixed with the pasta, cooled, and then whipped cream, pineapple, mandarin oranges, and marshmallows are mixed in to create a yummy, fluffy, sweet salad.
Not only do I love the taste of this salad but I really like that it can be made the night before so I’m not rushing to cook while also getting myself and children ready and out the door on time. Get everything cooked the night before your party and all you have to do the next day is mix in the fruit and whipped cream and you can be on your way. Enjoy!
Want more easy dessert recipes?
- Strawberry Cheesecake Fluff
- Pineapple Upside Down Fluff
- Orange Sour Cream Poppy Seed Cake
- Cranberry Fluff
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used in this Frog Eye Salad recipe:
Large Pot: This pot is a kitchen essential for everything from dinner to desserts. I use mine all the time and with proper care, it’ll last for years and years.
Medium Saucepan: I don’t what I’d do without this saucepan. It gets used in my kitchen every day. The glass lid even has strainer sides so I need a colander for pasta!
Hand Mixer: While I love my stand mixer, this handheld mixer is perfect for smaller recipes and when I need just a quick mix.
Pastina: This tiny pasta is a fun substitute for rice in fluff and pudding recipes for an Italian twist to a classic recipe.
Dessert Dishes: Get ready for some serious brownie points when you serve up dessert in these cute dishes. They’re fun for kids and a treat for dinner party guests.
- 1 cup Acini Di Pepe pasta or Pastina
- 20 ounce crushed pineapple juice reserved
- 20 ounce tidbits pineapple juice reserved
- 24 ounce mandarin oranges drained
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut optional
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Boil salted water in a large pot. Add pasta and cook 10 minutes or until al dente and then drain.
- In a medium saucepan, combine reserved juice, sugar, eggs, salt, and flour. Cook until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice and cooked pasta. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Beat heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together with an electric mixer until stiff peaks.
- When pasta is cooled, stir in the pineapple, oranges (reserve a few if serving in individual cups), coconut (optional), 3 cups of the whipped topping, and marshmallows. Mix together and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If serving in individual cups, top with the leftover whipped cream and extra mandarin oranges.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!