The holiday season isn’t complete until you have made Cranberry Fluff! It’s a deliciously tart and sweet dish to add to your table!
Your favorite tart Thanksgiving flavor is joining powers with crunchy and fluffy in my cranberry fluff recipe. Some people call this cranberry fluff salad, but my kids call it that “pink stuff from Thanksgiving.” No matter what you choose to call it, the combination of marshmallow, fruit, nuts, and whipped topping is always a crowd-pleaser.
I love this recipe because my grandma always made it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. You could spot the bowl of pink sweetness standing out against the traditional brown and green foods easily.
Cranberry fluff was one of those dishes that your mom would give you “the look” when you took your serving because one spoonful was all we got. That way everyone could have some. Now that I’m the one making this yummy side dish, I make a double batch. Everyone wants a second helping, and with good reason!
Other Recipes to Serve with Cranberry Fluff
- Sweet Potato Casserole – this sweet and savory fall dish is always on the table with all the other holiday favorites for Thanksgiving and Christmas
- Green Bean Casserole – the only way to get the kids to eat green beans willingly is to smother them in toppings and make it a casserole, another holiday tradition recipe that is always on the table
Fruit: Cranberries, crushed pineapple, and grapes together are always a win. The fresh flavors and bright colors make this salad a family favorite.
Crunch: Pecans add a little bit of crunch and give a savory balance to this salad.
Fluff: Cool Whip and mini marshmallows are the name of the fluffy game! They bring the fluff to the recipe and the Cool Whip helps everything stick together. (You can even use homemade cool whip if you like!)
How to Make Cranberry Fluff
STEP TWO: Stir the pineapple, grapes, and pecans into the cranberries using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Then stir in the mini marshmallows.
STEP THREE: Fold in the cool whip gently so it stays fluffy. Then chill until you’re ready to serve.
Tips for Success
- Allow the cranberries to absorb the sugar overnight or at least 2 before you mix anything else together.
- Be very gentle when folding the Cool Whip in, you want it to be fluffy still, not lose all the lightness of the whipped topping.
- How to fold in an ingredient: Use a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon and gently slowly scoop around the edge of the bowl. Then lift the ingreidnets from the bottom of the bowl and lay them on top. Repeat this scooping and lifting movement until everything is well incorporated. (see the video below)
- Chill the cranberry fluff for a few hours so all the flavors mix well and it is coled when served. You can also pre-portion this salad into single serving containers, just make sure each cup is covered with plastic wrap so the top doesn’t form a skin.
What is Cranberry Fluff?
Cranberry Fluff is kind of like Watergate Salad, it is a combination of fruit and nuts with a fluffy whipped topping and little tiny marshmallows that is sweet and tart.
Can you freeze Cranberry Fluff?
You can freeze this recipe for up to three months, but it won’t have the same consistency when you thaw it and eat it. The fruit will change consistency and the water from the fruit will change the consistency of the entire dish.
Other fluffy dessert recipes
- Blueberry Fluff
- Strawberry Cheesecake Fluff
- Pineapple Upside Down Fluff
- Cranberry Fluff Cheesecake Bites
More Thanksgiving Favorites
- Super Juicy Brined Turkey
- Mini Sweet Potato Casserole
- Turkey Gravy
- My Mom’s Mashed Potatoes
- Mamaw’s Dinner Rolls
- Cornbread Dressing
- The Best Pumpkin Pie
*This post originally posted on 11/22/2014.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 ounces canned crushed pineapple drained
- 1 cup green seedless grapes cut in half
- 1 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 8 ounces Cool Whip or homemade (1 tub = 3 cups)
- Add cranberries to a food processor and pulse to finely chop the berries.
- Add sugar to the cranberries and pulse until mixed. Transfer cranberries to a bowl.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or at least 2 hours).
- Add the crushed pineapple, grapes, and pecans to the cranberries and mix it all together.
- Add the mini marshmallows and mix. Add the Cool Whip and fold everything together until thoroughly mixed.
- Serve immediately or cover and store in the refrigerator. I like to top this salad with some cranberries, grapes, pecans, and marshmallows for garnish. If you're going to do this, set a little of each aside before starting the recipe.
If you enjoyed that recipe you might also like: