The BEST Easy Chicken Pot Pie in the world. It has a creamy filling, tender chicken, herbs and vegetables and it’s all baked under a golden puff pastry lid!
This chicken pot pie recipe is truly the only one you’ll ever need. It’s a creamy and comforting pie but it skips the cream and all the canned soups and uses a white sauce instead to keep it healthy and light. Seasoned with fresh thyme leaves and garlic to bring out all the flavor, this pie is perfect for upping your chicken recipes repertoire!
EASY CHICKEN POT PIE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
I’ve been making homemade chicken pot pie pretty much twice a month for years. They’re what I turn to every time I want a comforting dinner, but also want it to be quick and easy. This ticks all those boxes and then some! The easiest part about this pie is using the store-bought puff pastry for the lid. Just be sure to buy “all butter” puff pastry and make sure you stay away from any nasty fillers.
I just use a puff pastry lid for this chicken pot pie recipe because I love how crispy puff pastry gets. But you can, by all means, make your own pastry lid for this recipe.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
- Melt butter and heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Butter for flavor and oil for the heat.
- Brown the chicken pieces. Use chicken thigh for a fuller flavor.
- Sweat the onions until just turning golden. Add the garlic and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, vegetables, and chicken and cook until chicken is tender.
- Stir in the béchamel sauce and transfer to a casserole dish.
- Bake with the puff pastry lid until golden and delicious.
You make this recipe in one large pie or in small individual pies. They both work perfectly, but in small pots, they obviously cook faster and take up less space in the freezer.
What to serve with Chicken Pot Pie
- Starters like olives or pickles
- Fruit Salad
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Green Beans
- Green salad with dressing
- Dinner rolls for sopping up the extra sauce – YUM!
Pie topping options
There are more delicious topping options for pot pie than pastry.
- One of my favorite options is biscuits like this turkey pie with biscuit topping.
- Or mashed potatoes like this fish pie with mash topping.
When you pull that easy chicken pot pie out of the oven with its golden pastry lid and bubbling pie filling, you are going to be your family’s favorite person ever!
Try some of my other favorite chicken recipes to mix things up!
- One Pan Chicken Stroganoff
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Marsala
- Easy Baked Ham and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Chicken Pot Pie recipe
Medium Saucepan: I don’t know what I’d do without this saucepan. It gets used in my kitchen every day. The glass lid even has strainer sides so I even have a colander for pasta!
Small Saucepan: While I use bigger saucepans for everyday cooking, having a small saucepan lets me make syrups, toppings, and sauce add-ins without taking over the stovetop.
Casserole Dish: This simple and elegant serving dish goes from oven to table! It’s a staple at our dinner table and I know it will be at your table too!
Whisk: This is my favorite set of whisks. There’s a size for every job and the thicker handles give me a good grip.
- 3 chicken thighs boneless skinless, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium potatoes chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas no need to thaw
- 1 sheet puff pastry thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds optional
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- In a medium saucepan melt the butter and oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink and lightly brown. Remove the chicken to a bowl.
- Add the onion and garlic to the same pot. Soften the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, celery, and carrot to the pot. Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables and add the thyme leaves. Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer.
- Place the chicken pieces back in the pot and let cook in the broth.
- In a small pot melt the butter for the white sauce and add the flour. Whisk until a smooth paste forms. Add the milk and bring to a boil. Pour the sauce into the pan with the pot pie filling and mix well. Add the peas to the filling mixture and place in a casserole pot or a pie plate.
- Place the pastry over the pie filling and crimp the edges or let hang over the edge. Brush with the lightly beaten egg and scatter the poppy seeds, onion seeds and thyme leaves over the pastry.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden and the pie filling is bubbling and hot. Serve warm.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!