This EASY Baked Ham & Cheese Stuffed Chicken with a wickedly delicious Mustard Cream Sauce tastes like Cordon Bleu, minus the crunchy coating, but is about 5x faster to make!
EASY BAKED HAM AND CHEESE STUFFED CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pin board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
This reminds me of Cordon Bleu. Yes, minus the crunchy coating. But also minus all those calories. And this is about 8 times faster to make. I kid you not! 10 minutes of active effort and dinner is on the table. And what a dinner!!! I can’t get enough of this!
I really love stuffed chicken breast recipes. I think it’s a terrific way to bake chicken breast without it ending up dry and boring. Actually, I only bake chicken breast if it’s been marinated or brined. Otherwise I just find it lacks flavour and can go from perfectly cooked and juicy to overcooked and dry in 3 minutes. Yes, really. And you’d never find a chef in a restaurant baking a plain chicken breast. Not a chance.
However! Stuff it with something and boom! You’ve transformed what could have been a rather bland baked chicken into something absolutely and utterly incredible!
This is super easy to make. No pounding chicken, no rolling it up and tying with strings. Just cut a pocket into the chicken, stuff in ham and cheese and bake. Yep, it’s that easy!
Oh wait, I lied. I smear a bit of mustard inside the chicken (because ham + cheese + mustard is a fab combination), then sprinkle the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper, paprika and garlic powder. It makes a TERRIFIC crust for the chicken – and adds flavor. 🙂
The sauce for this dish is super quick to make and tastes incredible. It’s a mustard cream sauce that takes 1 minute to make and is the perfect accompaniment to the chicken. It adds moisture and even more flavor to an already delicious chicken meal!
I really hope you give this a go. Watch the recipe video and you’ll see how ridiculously fast and easy this is to make – and how incredibly delicious it is!
- 2 - 4 slices ham (depending on size) (Note 1)
- 2 pieces of Swiss cheese (or other cheese of choice) (Note 2)
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard (optional)
- 3/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 6 toothpicks
- Preheat oven to 390F.
- Place ham onto a work surface, then top with cheese and roll up into a tight bundle.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast, taking care not to cut all the way through. See recipe video for guidance.
- Smear 1 tsp of mustard inside each breast. Stuff with ham bundle. Fold over the top of the breast, then seal with 2 - 3 toothpicks.
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Place on baking tray, drizzle with oil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with Sauce!
- Place ingredients in a microwave proof bowl. Mix until smooth. Microwave for 2 x 30 seconds on high, stirring in between, until warmed through and smooth. Serve with chicken!
2. As with ham, use as much cheese as can fit into a bundle that will fit inside the chicken breast pocket. I use Swiss Cheese because I like how it melts yet still holds its form, rather than melting out of the chicken when it bakes.