Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken is so easy and delicious. This flavorful, cheesy chicken is a huge step up from your ordinary chicken dinner!
Chicken is the one protein I always have on hand. Though I may have a stockpile of chicken in the freezer, sometimes coming up with exciting chicken recipes is a challenge. Thankfully, one day I discovered that my favorite jalapeno popper recipe was the perfect inspiration I needed. Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken is a mouth-watering take on this classic appetizer!
JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
It wasn’t until later in life that I truly started to appreciate jalapenos. For me, they add just the right amount of spice to my food.
They really lend a perfect flavor to this cheesy jalapeno popper stuffed chicken. The spicy kick of the jalapeno, the creamy cheese blend, and the salty bacon are an epic flavor trifecta! This chicken is definitely worthy of your dinner table any day of the week!
I like to used mozzarella cheese for this recipe. However, jalapeno poppers traditionally use cream cheese and cheddar. If you want to change the cheese, go ahead! All I know is chicken breast stuffed with these goodies is delicious!
You can easily double this recipe to feed a family of four or prepare as is for a dinner-for-two option! My family loves this meal and I’m always happy to make it for them!
JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED CHICKEN VARIATIONS
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken – You can easily kick this recipe up to a whole new level by making the chicken wrapped in bacon! Usually, 2 slices of bacon will do the trick to cover each breast. Be sure to pin the bacon in place to keep it neatly wrapped. You can follow the same cooking guidelines in the oven until the chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
If the chicken is finished but the bacon is not quite crispy yet, you can place it under the broiler for a couple of minutes. The cast-iron skillet is broiler safe so no worries there. Be sure to keep a close watch until the bacon is cooked the way you like it.
Keto-Friendly Chicken – Good news! All of the ingredients in this recipe already make Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken keto-friendly! No substitutions are needed and no flavor has to be sacrificed if you are following a keto diet!
HOW DO YOU MAKE JALAPENO POPPER STUFFED CHICKEN
This Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken takes about 15 minutes to prep and 30 minutes to cook. The best part is, you can pre-stuff your chicken, cover it in plastic wrap, and pop it in the fridge to cook later!
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In the cast-iron skillet (or any oven-proof pan), cook the bacon slices until they are crisp. Remove the cooked bacon and place it on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any excess grease. When the bacon has cooled, dice it.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, 3/4 cup of mozzarella, garlic powder, diced jalapenos, and 3/4 of the cooked bacon. You’ll use the rest for garnish.
- Next, cut your chicken breasts in half to butterfly them open. Do NOT cut all the way through the chicken! Then season the breasts generously with salt and pepper.
- Divide the cream cheese mixture evenly between the chicken breasts. Spread the filling over one side of the breast, and secure them closed using toothpicks.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the remaining bacon fat from your cast iron skillet or pan. Then place the pan back over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Cook the stuffed chicken breasts for about 3 minutes on each side.
*Pro Tip: If you don’t have an oven-safe skillet, now is the time to transfer your chicken to a baking dish.
- Then, leaving the chicken in the skillet, sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella and bacon. Add some jalapeno slices on top as well. I don’t like this chicken too spicy so I remove the seeds, but you can leave them in if you prefer.
- Finally, place the skillet in the oven and cook the jalapeno popper chicken for approximately 15-20 minutes. The chicken is cooked when the thickest part of the breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Once removed from the oven, serve immediately and enjoy!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH JALAPENO POPPER CHICKEN
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken breast can be served with creamy mashed potatoes and with your favorite veggie or a salad on the side.
I personally love to pair this dish up with broccoli, spinach, or green beans to help cut the richness of the entree. I also feel less guilty indulging in the cheesy, bacon-speckled deliciousness if I am also getting my serving of vegetables in too.
TRY THESE OTHER DELICIOUSLY SPICY JALAPENO RECIPES!
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Jalapeno Poppers
- Jalapeno Popper Crescent Rolls
- Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Bombs
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins
- Jalapeno Popper Quesadillas
- More APPETIZER recipes…
TOOLS USED TO MAKE THIS JALAPENO STUFFED CHICKEN RECIPE
Cast Iron Skillet: From stove-top to oven, this multipurpose marvel is the best kitchen investment you might ever make.
*This post originally posted on 07/21/2016.
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices bacon diced
- 4 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons pickled jalapenos diced
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Pickled jalapeno slices
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook the bacon in a heavy-bottomed cast iron skillet (or an oven-proof pan), until it's crispy. Remove bacon from the pan and transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, 3/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, diced jalapenos, and 3/4 of the cooked bacon.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half to butterfly them open. (Do NOT cut all the way through!) Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Divide the filling between the chicken breasts and spread over one side of the breast. Then secure them closed with toothpicks.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the skillet and put it back over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for about three minutes on each side. (If you don't have an oven-proof skillet, transfer the chicken to a baking dish now.)
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella and bacon over each chicken breast. Add some jalapeno slices on top too.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the thickest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees F internal temperature.
- Remove chicken from the oven and serve warm.
Leave a Reply