These quick, from-scratch Cinnamon Muffins are perfect for a sweet breakfast treat alongside a cup of coffee!
These cinnamon muffins are the ultimate in moist, tender breakfast muffins. With 2 teaspoons of cinnamon inside the muffin batter and cinnamon sugar streusel sprinkled inside and on top of the muffins, this quick muffin recipe packs a cinnamon punch and will have you out of bed in no time.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your BREAKFAST pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
If there is one thing that wakes me up in the morning, it is the aroma of warm cinnamon and sugar. Whether it is whole wheat cinnamon pancakes, apple butter cinnamon rolls, or this cinnamon muffins recipe, you can bet that my day starts out with a smile if it involves that sweet cinnamon spice. And if I start with a smile, it’s more likely that the day goes well for everyone else. Know what I mean?
Normally I like to bake with 100% real butter, but for muffins, I find that using oil keeps the muffins soft with a tender crumb. You can use canola oil, vegetable oil, or even coconut oil here.
Another ingredient that keeps the muffins soft is buttermilk. I like using store-bought buttermilk because it is thick and rich. If you don’t have any, make your own! Put a teaspoon of vinegar into a 1-cup measuring cup, then fill the rest of the way with half and half cream. It will thicken in just a few minutes and give you the same effect in your baked goods.
Hint: You can use milk to make buttermilk also, but I recommend using whole milk. The higher the milk fat the better to keep the texture just right in these cinnamon muffins.
Oh, and get the coffee ready. A muffin plus a cup of coffee equals my ideal breakfast!
More of my favorite breakfast baked goods!
- Churros Muffins
- Fried Scones
- Mamaw’s Cinnamon Rolls
- Monkey Bread
- Lemon Cream Cheese Danish
- More breakfast recipes…
For the Streusel:
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- For the Muffins:
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to break any clumps.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, eggs, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- For the Streusel:
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and butter, cutting it with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spray 2 muffin pans with cooking spray.
- Fill 14-16 muffin cups half full.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon streusel on over the muffin batter.
- Use the remaining batter to fill the muffin cups the rest of the way.
- Sprinkle the remaining streusel on top of the muffins.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees (without opening the oven) and bake for an additional 11-12 minutes, or until the center of the muffin bounces back when you touch it.
- Allow the muffins to cool for 5 minutes, then remove them from the pan and allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!