When I was a very little kid my uncle owned a restaurant in Florida and I remember three things; 1) watching the lobsters crawling over each other in their tank 2) the awesome after dinner mints we would grab by the handfuls to snack on and 3) my soon to be aunt bringing
my brothers and I the most amazing ooey, gooey mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce! We would scarf them down trying to get more than the other and the cheese would be so stringy and warm that they were heaven!
I am not a big fryer not only because of the calories but because I don’t have that much experience or confidence in my frying abilities. We recently had some friends over for dinner and they were coming over after work so I wanted to have something yummy to munch on until dinner was ready. These are made with frozen cheese sticks so I was able to bread them earlier in the day, then pop them back in the freezer until they got to the house. That way I could just pop them in the oven and they would be warm and melty once they were here. The only delay was the time it took me to snap a quick picture. I’m glad I got the picture first because they were gone FAST! We ate them with the Best EVER Pizza Sauce I had saved in the freezer. It was so delicious.
- 12 mozzarella string cheeses frozen and cut in half
- 1 whole egg
- 2/3 c flour divided
- 2/3 c Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried basil
- cooking spray
- preheat oven to 400 degrees
- layout three bowls
- beat egg in one bowl
- divide flour into two remaining bowls, 1/3 cup in each
- in one of the flour bowls add Panko, oregano, basil stir
- coat the cheese in the flour, then dip into the egg and finally coat in breadcrumb mixture
- be sure to coat the ends as well
- place back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes or until just before placing in the oven
- if you skip this step your cheese will melt before they get crispy in the oven.
- line your baking sheet with parchment and lay out the cheese sticks
- spray with baking spray on the tops
- place in oven and cook 5 minutes then turn
- bake another 5 minutes or until they are golden brown