Pull out your stockpot and make this Italian Sausage & Gnocchi Soup today! With plenty of zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, tender gnocchi, garlic, red wine, and Italian sausage in a rich and delicious broth, this soup will have you begging for another bowl! Mangia!
I hope y’all are enjoying fall so far! Living in Phoenix, we’re still experiencing very summer-like weather (ughhhhh!!!) … and I’m looking forward to cooler days when I can maybe wear a hoodie or sweatshirt! It really is about the little thing in life, isn’t it?! Although the temperatures are not cooperating, that doesn’t mean I can’t serve up a filling, stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup!
In case you don’t know, one of my favorite things ever is soup – in almost any form! To me, there is something so comforting in a bowl of hot soup. Don’t you feel the same? Not to mention, they’re usually pretty easy to make and they taste delicious! Right?! My husband is a big fan of Italian-style dinners. While I had thought about making Minestrone (Brian’s favorite soup), I ultimately settled for this Italian Sausage & Gnocchi Soup … and man, oh man – I’m glad I did! I’m also glad I made a big pot of this because I got to have some of the leftovers for lunch the next day – and everyone knows that soup is almost always better after the ingredients have had time to play nice with each other! This soup was insanely good and I loved having some crusty garlic bread to sop up the broth! This is definitely one of those recipes that I won’t be waiting years to make again! Serve it with crusty garlic bread and a fresh tossed salad for an easy, fuss-free, and absolutely taste bud tantalizing dinner! Enjoy!
Oh – and as a side note …. the red wine gives this soup an incredible depth of flavor. It totally adds more to the “mmmmm factor!” However, if you’re not a wine type of person, you can omit it! Just substitute additional beef broth or water for the wine! 😉
- 1 lb. Italian sausage casings removed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 14.5 oz petite-diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 medium zucchini chopped
- 16 oz potato gnocchi
- Parmesan cheese optional
- In a large soup pot, brown and crumble the Italian sausage. Remove sausage from pot. Reserve 1 tbsp. of the sausage dripping and discard the remaining drippings.
- Saute onion and garlic in reserved drippings until onion is soft. Stir in beef broth, wine, tomatoes, carrots, tomato sauce, basil, oregano and cooked Italian sausage. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Skim any fat off the top of the soup. Stir in zucchini. Simmer covered for 20 minutes. Add the gnocchi and cook uncovered until the gnocchi begin to float, about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese, if desired.