Enjoy your favorite childhood cookie in cupcake form with these soft and fluffy cinnamon sugar Snickerdoodle Cupcakes!
I love the smell of cinnamon. It reminds me of the Christmas season, probably because I smell and taste it constantly during this time of the year– in desserts, apple cider, candles, pine cones… (I don’t eat the candles and pine cones). It also gets me in the mood to bake all kinds of treats and decorate sugar cookies with my kids. This year I’m enjoying it in these Snickerdoodle Cupcakes. Just like the traditional snickerdoodle cookies, these Snickerdoodle Cupcakes have the same cinnamon sugar top. In fact, if you only saw the top of the cupcakes without frosting you might mistake them for cookies.
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Real Housemoms TV
The cake for these cupcakes is the same white cake as in my White Chocolate Easter Egg Cupcakes. So soft, fluffy, and flavorful. So fitting for a Snickerdoodle Cupcake.
You can serve the cupcakes without frosting but then it’d be a muffin (like these French Breakfast Puffs), right? So, I topped those already perfectly delicious cupcakes with some smooth cream cheese frosting and added a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar for a little extra finesse. Beautiful and tasty. If you want to go even further, you can add a cinnamon stick too.
I gave my daughter a cupcake and after she licked all the frosting off she said, “mom, I ate all the sauce, can I have some more?!” Yep, I pretty much let my child eat straight frosting. At least I said “no” to more! …because I wanted the rest.
Spread some holiday cheer by sharing these yummy cupcakes with your friends and family.
Want more snickerdoodle recipes?
- Buttered Rum Snickerdoodles
- Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
- Nutella Snickerdoodles
- Rolo Filled Snickerdoodles
- Snickerdoodle Fudge
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Snickerdoodles Cupcakes recipe
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls get used just about every day at my house. The grip handle makes them easy to hold and the pour spout makes them perfect for batters!
Muffin Tin: Muffin tins are great for all kind of baked goods! I use mine for muffins, cupcakes, appetizers, and egg cups!
Piping Bag & 1M Piping Tip: Disposable pipings bags handy to have on hand for filling desserts & donuts and food decorating. Pop a coupler and icing tip on your bag or snip off the end and you’re all set!
For the Cupcakes:
For the Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners (12 regular, 24 mini, or a combo of 6 regular and 12 minis).
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, melt butter and whisk in the sugar, buttermilk, sour cream, and vanilla. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into the batter until combined.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners (I like to use an ice cream scoop).
- Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon on the top of batter. Reserve remaining.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. (If you are baking mini and regular cupcakes, bake the mini ones first and then the regular.) Leave in tin for a couple minutes until able to remove onto a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- In a mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat until smooth and creamy. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with a 1M star tip. Swirl frosting on top of each cupcake and then sprinkle the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!