Magic happens in the oven when you make Magic Custard Cake! A simple mixture of milk, eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, and flour is magically transformed into the multi-layer treat!
You may have seen this Magic Custard Cake recipe floating around the internet, but haven’t had the chance to give it a try yet. Trust me, you need to stop what you are doing now and make this cake! It’s cake-y, custard-y, and full of creamy goodness all in one delicious bite! Dusted with powdered sugar, this easy cake recipe is a showstopper that’ll everyone wondering how you made the magic happen.
MAGIC CUSTARD CAKE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DESSERT pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I’m no scientist, so please don’t ask me how it happens, but while this Magic Custard Cake recipe bakes, it separates into three distinct layers. The top layer is a soft cake, followed by a creamy custard layer that sits on a firm sort of flan-like layer. I flavored this dessert with lots and lots of vanilla extract, one full tablespoon to be exact for a very vanilla custard cake. Be sure to use real vanilla extract for the best results. Imitation vanilla, while cheaper, does NOT do this dessert justice.
What is really fun with this dessert (besides the magic that happens in the oven) is that you can really go with any flavor you like by switching out the vanilla extract with one of the many flavored extracts out in the markets today! Orange, coffee, coconut, and almond would all be fantastic for this dessert. You could even swap chocolate milk for regular milk for a chocolate magic custard cake!
How to make a magic cake come out perfectly:
- Do not over mix the egg whites into the batter. It’s okay to leave a few white streaks.
- Watch the cake closely and adjust cooking times for your oven. You want the middle to jiggle just a tad when you take it out.
- If the top begins to get too brown before the cake is done, cover loosely with foil to avoid over browning.
- Let the cake cool COMPLETELY before attempting to cut into it. Even better, let it cool in the fridge overnight before cutting it.
- Cover it liberally with powdered sugar before serving!
Want more of our favorite cake recipes?
- Lemon-Lime Layer Cake
- Oreo Poke Cake
- Banana Coconut Bundt Cake
- Pina Colada Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake Bites
- More dessert recipes…
Tools used to make this Magic Custard Cake recipe
Square Baking Dish: A square baking dish is a must have for home cooks. This one comes with a sturdy lid for easy storing and transporting your favorite dishes!
Stand Mixer: I don’t know what I’d do without my stand mixer. I use it for just about everything…and I mean everything! Cakes, cookies, mashed potatoes, and shredding chicken!
Rubber Spatula: Rubber spatulas are one of those kitchen tools you don’t realize how much you use until they’re all dirty. This set of three spatulas in various sizes and shapes will make cooking everything from dinner to dessert a breeze.
- 4 eggs separated
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly
- pinch of kosher salt
- 2 cups warm milk I used 2%
- 1 TBS pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 8" x 8" pan with parchment or foil, or coat liberally with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg yolks, granulated sugar, butter, and a pinch of salt until mixture is well combined and it turns pale yellow.
- Slowly beat the milk into the egg yolk mixture.
- Add the vanilla extract and flour and mix to combine.
- Fold in the egg whites a little at a time. Do not overmix!
- Pour into prepared baking pan and bake for 40 -50 minutes, or until set. The middle should be a little jiggly when you take it out.
- Cool completely before cutting.
- Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar before serving.
Looking for more fun and easy dessert ideas? Try these…
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!