Fresh, easy, and totally customizable, Cracker Canapes are the perfect bite-sized appetizers for all your holiday parties!
Snackable, single-bite Cracker Canapes are so easy to put together and they are guaranteed to satisfy the masses. Fresh ingredients come together to create a multitude of savory snacks, perfect for entertaining friends or family on any occasion.
SO MANY CANAPES, SO LITTLE TIME
When it comes to canape cracker recipes, the sky is the limit! There is an endless amount of cracker and topping combinations using savory meats, cheeses, spreads, and even sweet fruits and nut butter.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CRACKER CANAPES
- Caprese Tomato Bites – One-bite finger foods pair great with Cracker Canapes and these fresh tomato bites are a wonderful addition to any appetizer table.
- Bacon Wrapped Figs – These are sweet, salty, and incredibly addicting!
- Smoked Salmon Crostini – This incredible crostini is a canape with a whole new level of crunch!
Crackers: You can use any crackers you like to make this Cracker Canapes recipe! From buttery Ritz crackers to crunchy rice crackers and even simple saltines. You can also use fancy crackers that can add a new depth of flavor all their own.
Meats: For this recipe, we used roast beef, but you can also use ingredients like smoked salmon, prosciutto, salami, and thinly sliced chicken.
Cheese: Here we used sharp white cheddar cheese in all these canapes, but feel free to use whatever cheese you love! Sliced, cubed, or spread- every canape needs a layer of cheese! You can even skip the cheese if you prefer. All these flavor combinations work with and without the cheese.
Fruits: Fruits, such as pears and apples, go well with both sweet and savory canapes.
Spreads and Drizzles: These ingredients tend to pull the whole canape together! Spreads and sauces can range from horseradish sauce and cream cheese to peanut butter and honey and everything in between!
HOW TO MAKE CRACKER CANAPES
ROAST BEEF & HORSERADISH: My husband loves a meaty appetizer so for this canape, I’m topping Ritz crackers with white cheddar cheese, deli-sliced roast beef, a dollop of creamy horseradish sauce, and some chopped chives. The buttery cracker goes perfectly with the rich toppings.
PEANUT BUTTER & APPLE: Grab some Triscuits and top them with white cheddar cheese, a slice of apple, a dollop of peanut butter, and a drizzle of honey. My kids gobble these up and love them for their lunch box too!
PEAR & CARAMELIZED ONION: I usually use “fancy” crackers like Carr’s or Pepperidge Farm’s crackers for this one, but Wheat Thins would work great too. Then top your crackers with white cheddar cheese, a slice of pear, a smear of Dijon mustard, and some caramelized onions. Yum!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Prep ahead of time. Even if you won’t be assembling your capanes until later, you can premaek the caramelized onions, slice the fruits and toss them in a ltitle lemon juice to prevent browning, and slice the cheese.
- For the best result, assemble your canape cracker with toppings as close to the time you are going to serve them as possible. This will ensure the ingredients are fresh and nothing dries out or gets soggy before they make it onto your guest’s plates.
- If you plan on serving these delicious appetizers to a large crowd, consider separating canapes onto different plates in case anyone has a nut allergy.
WHAT IS A CANAPÉ?
Canapes are single-bite hors d’oeuvres. They consist of a base, such as a cracker, piece of bread, or puff pastry, and are topped with layers such as a savory spread and various toppings. The best part of serving canapes is how easy they are to make and the endless number of combinations and different flavor profiles you can create to wow your guests!
HOW TO KEEP CANAPES FRESH
With canapes, it is important to assemble them as close to serving time as possible. The best way to protect the base is by using a spread as the first layer on top of the base. Cracker Canapes are less likely to get soggy than canapes with a bread or pastry base, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they have a longer shelf life. Because of the nature of the fresh ingredients that are most often used, the sooner these delicious bites are enjoyed, the better.
OTHER AWESOME APPETIZERS
- Onion Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza Bites
- Chicken Artichoke Bites
- Crock Pot Pizza Dip
- Jalapeno Crab Dip
- Apricot Brie Bites
Roast Beef & Horseradish
- Ritz crackers
- White cheddar cheese thin sliced
- Roast Beef deli sliced
- Creamy horseradish sauce
- Fresh chives sliced
Peanut Butter & Apple
Roast Beef & Horseradish
- Place some cheese onto each cracker. Top with a slice of roast beef, a dollop of creamy horseradish, and some chives.
Peanut Butter & Apple
- Place some cheese onto each cracker. Top with some apple, a dollop of peanut butter, and then drizzle some honey over the top.
Pear & Caramelized Onion
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter is melted add the onions and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring often, until golden brown and caramelized. Let cool. (see note)
- Place some cheese on each cracker. Top with pear slices, a dollop of Dijon mustard, and some caramelized onions.