Four simple ingredients and only a few minutes of prep time are all you need to create this mouthwatering BLUEBERRY DUMP CAKE. It’s a perfect summer dessert!
Oh wonderful dump cake, where have you been all my life? Had I known it could be this easy to throw together such a delicious naughty dessert, I’m positively sure I’d be a good ten pounds heavier than I am today. This was my first, and certainly not my last, dump cake. What is a dump cake, you may be wondering? Well, you basically dump a box of cake mix on your fruit of choice, cover it with melted butter, cook it to golden perfection, and then try not to eat the whole thing in one sitting.
My fruit of choice this time around was blueberries. I, for one, love blueberry desserts. I know a few crazy people who don’t like them in desserts, but I think they’re wonderful. Plus, I just so happened to have a couple bags of frozen blueberries in my freezer.
If you think about it, most cake mixes require you to add butter or oil, eggs, and milk. Well, all you’re doing here is omitting the eggs and the milk. Great news if you’re the type who routinely runs out of either!
Just bake it it until its golden brown on top and the blueberries start to pop. Oh my word – I am actively salivating as I write this.
This is very similar to a cobbler or a crisp, but you don’t have to mess with measuring out ingredients and honestly, it tastes better. Don’t hold back – throw a big ol’ scoop of vanilla ice cream right on top and then try to eat it all before the ice cream completely melts. Oh yes.
- 4 cups fresh (or 32 ounces frozen) blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (16 ounce) box vanilla cake mix*
- 1/2 cup (1 cube) unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 12 inch round oven safe skillet or baking dish.
- Add berries to prepared dish and cover with lemon juice.
- Dump contents of cake mix onto blueberries and shake pan to evenly distribute. Cover with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 35-45 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
If you’re a fan of blueberries, you’ll have to try this Blueberry Cream Cheese Frosting made with freeze dried blueberries:
And you simply can’t go wrong with a batch of scratch made Brown Butter Blueberry Muffins: