Dips. They’re fantastic, aren’t they? They’re so many kinds and variations and most of the time you can make or prep them ahead of time, which makes them an even more great! Growing up I loved the onion dip that you make with sour cream and that powdered onion soup mix. It can be pretty addicting, can’t it? I would find myself stuck in the kitchen with a bag of chips and that dip eating, and eating and eating until I hit the bottom of the chip bag. No self control when it comes to that dip. Caramelized Onion Dip is all homemade and so good that I could lick the bowl to make sure that none is wasted.
Starting with sweet onions helps with the flavor of the caramelized onion taste. I think this dip is going to be perfect for all the upcoming afternoons grilling burgers and steaks out back. The Worcestershire sauce really helps to make the caramelized onion dip taste like the onions you’d pile high on a burger or steak! The dip tastes best if you can let it sit overnight so if you’re throwing a party it’s perfect. I was impatient and had to have it and it was good right away if you just have to make it and can’t wait. I think this will make a good base for a couple of other dips I’ve got swimming in my head for this summer. Enjoy!
- melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat
- place onions in melted butter and stir
- stir in the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper can continue to cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally
- stir in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce
- remove from the heat and allow to cool while you mix the remaining ingredients
- in a medium sized bowl mix together the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise and cream cheese
- add in the onions and refrigerate at least 1 hour but overnight is best to allow the flavors to mix
- serve with crackers or chips at room temperature