These easy and delicious Cheesy Baked Beef Taquitos make the perfect lunch or after-school snack for your hungry kiddos!
Crunchy, meaty, and melty- these Cheesy Baked Beef Taquitos check all the boxes when it comes to fun and flavor! Perfectly seasoned beef and string cheese are wrapped in a soft tortilla and baked to crispy perfection for an awesome snack that is perfect for dipping.
GRAB AND GO FOR THE WIN!
I always make up a batch of these simple taco taquitos right when my kids get home from school. I happily stand back and watch as these taquitos get tossed onto plates with a scoop of sour cream or salsa and disappear into my kid’s rooms.
OTHER RECIPES TO SERVE WITH CHEESY BAKED BEEF TAQUITOS
- Spicy Queso Blanco – If you have a little extra time, this queso makes a great dip for everything from taquitos to tortilla chips!
- Mexican Rice – Make this recipe a meal by adding a side of this amazing Mexican Rice.
- Black Beans – Black beans are a great alternative to refried beans and they still go great with a side of rice!
Tortillas: This recipe will make 10 taquitos so you’ll need 10 medium-sized flour tortillas. I usually get soft taco size so I can fold in the sides and keep the cheese from oozing out.
Beef: Season 1 pound of lean ground beef with 2 tablespoons of this amazing Homemade Taco Seasoning (or a storebought packet) and 1/4 cup of your favorite salsa.
Cheese Sticks: You’ll want to have 10 sticks of your favorite brand of string cheese on hand.
Seasoning: Sprinkle a little chili powder dust over each cheesy taco taquito for garnish.
HOW TO MAKE BEEF TAQUITOS
STEP ONE: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, cook the ground beef for about 8 minutes or until it is browned. Break up the beef as it cooks, mixing in the taco seasoning and salsa until it is combined. If needed, add some water too. (See the note below.)
STEP TWO: To assemble each taquito, lay out a tortilla and place an unwrapped cheese stick in the middle. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of taco meat onto the tortilla. Finish by folding in the edges of the tortilla and rolling up the taquito. Place each completed taquito onto a baking sheet with the seam facing down.
STEP THREE: Spray the tops of the taquitos with olive oil spray and then sprinkle them with a bit of chili powder. Bake on the top rack for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove them from the oven and serve with a dollop of sour cream or salsa for dipping!
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- Depending on how soft the tortillas are, I will usually place them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to warm them up before I wrap them. This helps to ensure that they won’t break or tear when I fold the ends in.
- You can use homemade or store-bought taco seasoning. If you’re using a packet from the store, you may need to add 2-3 tablespoons of water to the skillet. Some taco packets have a thickening agent and the water will help the seasoning distribute over the beef more evenly.
- If your taquitos aren’t browned enough for your liking after 15 minutes, you can turn the oven to 425 degrees F and let them brown for another 5 minutes while the oven heats up. This gives the taquitos a crispy golden outside.
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT BAKED BEEF TAQUITOS
Leftover taquitos can simply be placed in a ziplock bag or airtight container or wrapped in foil and placed in the fridge. When you’re ready to reheat leftovers I recommend placing them back on a cooking sheet and reheating them in the oven at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. Fair warning, if you decide to microwave them they will not be as crunchy and delicious as they were the first time around.
HOW TO SWITCH UP THIS RECIPE
This recipe is great because there are plenty of ways to mix things up and make it your own! You can switch out the ground beef for ground turkey or even Impossible meat. You could even use shredded cheese if you don’t have any string cheese on hand. The best way to customize this Cheesy Baked Taco Taquito recipe lies in the endless possibility of toppings! Play around with different salsas, sour cream, guacamole, and even creamy queso to dip your creation in!
OTHER EASY AFTER SCHOOL RECIPES
- Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast Roll Ups
- Slow Cooker Pizza Sloppy Joes
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
- Ranch Chicken Tacos
- Baked Club Sliders
- BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, about 8 minutes. Break up the meat as it cooks. Mix in taco seasoning, salsa, and water. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place a string cheese in the middle of a tortilla and add about 3 tablespoons of taco meat. Fold in the sides of the tortilla and roll up from one end to the other to make a log shape. Place on a baking sheet seam side down and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Spray the taquitos with olive oil spray and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the top rack. (see note)
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with guacamole, sour cream, and/or salsa for dipping.