ONE POT CHICKEN AND BROCCOLI RICE is an essential back-pocket recipe for those really busy nights that takes just 20 minutes to prepare and is all made in ONE pot!
I still remember the day I first shared this recipe with a friend. We were standing at the dog park, throwing the ball for our dogs. She was sighing and complaining about how she has to make 2 meals every night. One for her and her husband. And another for the boys.
I stared at her in disbelief. “What??!” I gasped. “You make TWO different meals every night?? Like you don’t have enough to do!”
I was flabbergasted. Because she had not only just had her 3rd son, the two elder boys are a bundle of extreme energy she has to keep up with AND she had gone back to full-time work just 4 months after giving birth. Plus I always joke that she actually has 4 sons. Her husband being the fourth. 😉
She is the busiest person I know. And to top it off – she was making TWO meals every night??
So of course, being the food-obsessed person I am, I set about pulling together a set of recipes for her. And this recipe topped the list.
When I first sent her the recipe, she was a bit dubious. “Not sure the boys will go for it, but I’ll give it a go for sure!”, she wrote back.
12 hours later: “OMG!!! They LOVED IT!!!! I chopped up the broccoli smaller so it mixed in better, but they ate it!! Well, most of it. You know what Joey and Zac are like. And Dave LOVED it too! That rice is DA BOMB!”
And truly, it is. This really is all about the rice. Because it’s not just plain rice, it’s a bit creamy and has the added flavour of parmesan AND Monterey Jack cheese. I made this with chicken and broccoli because they’re two staples in my household. But really, you could swap them out for anything, using the same cooking method I use in the recipe below.
The key to this is cooking the broccoli (or whatever vegetables you choose to use) ON the rice. That’s how I make this 20-minute dinner all in one pot. 🙂
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 1 cup milk (full or low fat)
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt + pepper
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (for stretch)
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese (for flavour)
- Florets of 1 small head of broccoli
- Heat oil in a skillet with a lid OR a large pot over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add rice and stir until translucent. Add chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper. Place lid on and turn down to medium low.
- Cook for 8-12 minutes (or until the rice almost done), then add chicken then broccoli on top (don't stir), place the lid back on until liquid is evaporated and broccoli is just cooked (about 5 more minutes).
- Remove from stove. Scatter of cheese and place lid on again - residual heat will melt the cheese while the rice rests. Rest for 5 minutes then serve.