SPICED APPLE COFFEE CAKE is a delicious way to start the morning, or end the day! Apples fried in butter with sugar and spices and streusel top this super yummy cake!
My mom and dad are here for a visit and we’re having so much fun! They haven’t been up here since last year when we were first moving in so this is the first trip we’ve been able to show them Oregon. We did however walk around the house and show them what we’ve been up to and the changes we’ve made and what we’re planning on making. While we were walking around the house we stopped on the side to talk about the never ending project that is my office. That just happens to be where my apple tree is and it’s FULL of apples! I was so excited last year when we moved in and I discovered we had an apple tree. So I grabbed a couple of apples for my mom and I to snack on while we talked about supporting the office and drywall and roofing.
I have to have apples in the fall and this Spiced Apple Coffee Cake is just what I need on a lazy, cool weekend morning with my coffee. It has apples fried in butter and sugar and cinnamon, a delicious buttery, sweet streusel topping and the amazing cake. This is a straight dessert but calling it coffee cake means that I can have it with my breakfast! Whats better than that? Not much! This cake is easy to make but there are three components to the recipe. Don’t let the list of ingredients daunt you. It’s very simple to make and definitely worth it!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold, cubed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet
- add the apple wedges, brown sugar, and cinnamon, stirring occasionally
- cook the apples for 5 minutes or until tender
- remove them to a plate and allow to cool
- beat butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and creamy
- add eggs 1 at a time
- pour in vanilla
- scrape down the edges of the mixing bowl
- in a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
- add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture
- spray a 10 inch spring form pan with cooking spray and add a bit of flour to coat the inside of the pan
- pour cake batter into the cake pan and set aside
- in a medium sized mixing bowl combine flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt
- cut in the cubed butter until it resembles peas
- sprinkle half of the streusel topping over the top of the coffee cake batter
- carefully lay the apples even on top of the streusel topping
- cover the apples with the remaining streusel topping
- bake in the oven for 60 minutes checking to make sure that the center is set
- if the topping is getting too dark, loosely cover with foil
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!