HOMEMADE CORNBREAD MIX is so easy to make and have on hand. When you make it yourself you can control what goes in!
Cornbread is something that I make all the time in the fall and winter. I used to by the little boxes of mix and keep them on hand for those nights that we were having chili or stew. I always felt a little guilty pouring this prepackaged box into the bowl to make them. Not that I was too worried about fillers it was more that I was paying a premium for flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Things I had in my kitchen but I wasn’t using because dinner was being made fast! So I decided to start making my own little “boxes” of Homemade Cornbread Mix to keep in the pantry and use when the mood struck.
I put the mix in a wide mouthed mason jar so that I could easily use a scoop to get what I need out. It comes together just as easy as the box mix and baked up perfect. I prefer sweet cornbread so I add honey. There are so many great variations on simple cornbread and this mix makes it easy to play around. It works as a great base for adding whatever you’d like or just leave it as it is for a simple savory cornbread. I usually add frozen corn as well for little pops of fresh corn. Keep it on hand and mix it up and bake it off as you need it this fall and winter!
To Bake Muffins
- 1 1/3 cup cornbread mix
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp honey optional, add if you like a more sweet cornbread
- in a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt
- store in an airtight container until ready to use
To Bake Muffins
- preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- in a medium mixing bowl whisk together 1 1/3 cup cornbread mix, melted butter, egg and milk
- place paper muffin liners in muffin tins
- fill the muffin cups 1/2 of the way full
- bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean