This SIMPLE DELICIOUS BLISTERED TOMATOES recipe comes together in under ten minutes and is the perfect accompaniment to any meal, or as a healthy snack!
We all know that the more colorful our dinner plates are, the healthier they tend to be, yes? Well, those colorfully healthy plates don’t have to come at the expense of taste. That would just be wrong.
So very wrong.
Real Housemoms TV
Since I like my meals to be easy, this blistered tomatoes recipe is one of my top side dishes, because they are almost like a deconstructed marinara sauce. There is so much flavor going on here, but texture as well. The tomatoes are soft, but still burst when bitten. They are sauteed with red onion and shallot, and seasoned with kosher salt and pepper, and fresh basil leaves.
And olive oil. Lots of olive oil.
Not only does the olive oil bring out the lively flavors of the ingredients, but it also aids in the absorption of the fat-soluble nutrients found in tomatoes, like lycopene and beta-carotene. Holla at ya antioxidants!
Science aside, there is no denying how satisfying this blistered tomatoes side dish is. I like to finish it off with a little feta cheese and serve it alongside some almond-crusted chicken, spaghetti carbonara, or even with some house salad!
Take dinner to the next level with some amazing blistered tomatoes and wow the crowd with how much flavor you can pack in such a beautiful dish!
- 1/3 Red Onion sliced thin
- 1/2 Shallot sliced thin
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 2 Pints Sweet Tomatoes
- Kosher Salt to taste
- Cracked Pepper to taste
- 1/2 C Fresh Basil chopped
- 1/2 C Feta Cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium, medium-high heat. In a bowl, toss together the red onion, shallot, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil until thoroughly coated.
- Dump the contents of the bowl into the heated skillet and saute until the onions and shallot just begin to soften and turn translucent, around 3 minutes.
- In the same bowl, toss together the tomatoes and remaining olive oil, then turn over into the skillet with the onion and shallot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato skins blister and soften, around 5 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil at the last minute, stir gently, then remove from heat, sprinkle with the feta cheese, and serve immediately.
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!