One-pan Baked Lemon Chicken is so flavorful and easy you’ll want to make it over and over again! Just place simple ingredients in a baking dish and dinner is done!
It seems like life just keeps getting busier and busier, so weeknights definitely call for easy recipes everyone around the table will enjoy. This Lemon Chicken sounds a little fancy, but is so flavorful and simple you’ll want to put it on your meal plan week after week – it’s that easy! This dish is one of our all-time favorite recipes, especially served alongside Tortellini Pasta Salad, whether as comfort food for the family or to serve to guests (my mother-in-law is a big fan). It tastes wonderful any time of year.
BAKED LEMON CHICKEN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
With the addition of potatoes to this dish, it’s a meal waiting to happen! The lemon, chicken, and potatoes come together to create the perfect flavor combination.
It doesn’t get much better than turning on your oven, cutting up onions and lemons, placing all your ingredients in a baking pan and getting to enjoy a delicious and hearty dinner in about an hour. How wonderful does it feel not having to peel the potatoes?? See, this recipe is simple!
The other time-saving thing about this easy recipe is minimal dishes. If you know me, then you know I don’t exactly love washing dishes, so one-pot meals like Chicken Enchilada Verde Soup and Mexican Chicken, Rice and Veggie Casserole are always in rotation.
Tips for Making Lemon Chicken
- This Lemon Chicken recipe calls for skin-on chicken. You may not be one of those people that cares for poultry skin, but do cook your chicken with the skin-on if you can. Cooking with the skin not only protects the meat from drying out (we aren’t fans of dry chicken around here), but more importantly, the chicken gets bathed with the rich flavor from the skin while it cooks! Mouth-watering good!
- For convenience, you can definitely prep this dinner the night before and pop it in the oven when it’s time for dinner or when you get home from work.
- In a pinch, you can use dried herbs. However, because dried herbs are generally a bit more potent and concentrated than fresh herbs, you’ll need approximately 1 teaspoon of dried thyme in the recipe.
Want more easy chicken dinner ideas?
- Honey Butter Chicken
- Chicken Piccata
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- One Pot Chicken and Broccoli Rice
- Honey Mustard Chicken Kabobs
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Baked Lemon Chicken recipe
Baking Dish: This baking dish is a must-have for any home cook. I actually have 3 of them in my cupboard, and each dish comes with a lid for storing leftovers or taking your dishes on the go.
Mixing Bowl: These mixing bowls are perfect for mixing and serving. I love the varied sizes so I always have to right size bowl for all my mixing needs.
Tongs: A good pair of tongs is a kitchen essential. I like having a couple sizes – a longer set for grilling and a shorter set for stovetop cooking.
- 6-8 pieces bone-in chicken skin on
- 1 lb mini red potatoes washed
- 1/2 large yellow onion sliced
- 2 lemons 1 sliced and 1 juiced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme plus sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Arrange chicken pieces (skin side up), potatoes, sliced onion and lemon slices to fit in the pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper. Pour mixture all over chicken, potatoes, lemons and onions coating all ingredients evenly.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour, or until chicken and potatoes are completely cooked.
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!