Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan is an easy recipe made with tender, roasted spaghetti squash, and crisp breaded chicken smothered in a flavorful pasta sauce and melted mozzarella cheese!
I’m always looking for ways to lighten up my favorite dishes and work in an extra serving of veggies. This easy Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan is the perfect way to cut back on the carbs without giving up all of that comfort food flavor in a traditional Baked Chicken Parmesan. Simple roasted spaghetti squash replaces the usual plate full of pasta and I promise you won’t even miss it!
SPAGHETTI SQUASH CHICKEN PARMESAN
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER pinboard!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
I sub out pasta for vegetables all the time. Sometimes I use zoodles (zucchini noodles) to make favorites like One Pot Low Carb Shrimp Alfredo and Zucchini Pad Thai, but roasted spaghetti squash may be my favorite. It’s super easy to make, just cut your spaghetti squash in half, rub a little olive oil on it and place it on a baking sheet flat side down. Then you roast it in the oven for about 45 minutes. When it comes out of the oven you flip it over (be careful it’s hot!) and drag a fork through the spaghetti squash. It shreds into these delicious, long strands of squash that are amazing all on their own…but even better when you add a little chicken and some pasta sauce. Think of it as low carb chicken parmesan.
And that brings us to chicken parmesan spaghetti squash. It’s one of my favorite spaghetti squash recipes! The only hard and fast rules for the recipe are chicken, sauce, and cheese. I prefer using breaded chicken for my chicken Parmesan but if you really want to cut down on the carbs you can substitute grilled chicken. You can also make your own breaded chicken or to save time (I love shortcuts!) you can buy froze breaded chicken strips. Either way, you’ll want fully cooked chicken, still warm, to place on top of your spaghetti squash. Top that with your favorite pasta sauce, and a generous helping of mozzarella cheese. Place the squash back on the baking sheet and put them back in the oven under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble and brown slightly. When it is ready, remove it from the oven and dig in! This spaghetti squash chicken parmesan recipe was a huge hit at my house and I know it will be at your house too!
Want more squash recipes?
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Butternut Squash Chicken Foil Packets
- Healthy Crock Pot Taco Spaghetti Squash
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Pear and Pork
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- More dinner recipes…
Tools used to make this Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parmesan recipe
Baking Sheet: A nice big baking sheet is a must have for any kitchen. This half pan sheet is large than a regular cookie and works great for anything you’re baking.
Silicone Mat: I use a silicone mat on my baking sheet practically everytime I bake. The mat makes for easy cleanup and my foods don’t stick to the pan.
- 2 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 1/2 pounds Breaded Chicken Strips about 3 strips per spaghetti squash half
- 2 cups Pasta Sauce
- 16 ounces Mozzarella Cheese fresh shredded
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half, remove seeds, and rub each piece with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat place each squash half flat side down.
- Prick the rounded side of the squash several times with a fork.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove for oven and let cool while you cook the chicken according to the package instructions.
- When chicken is ready set aside and prepare the spaghetti squash by running a fork through the spaghetti squash. This will create "noodles".
- Place about 3 strips (or enough to cover the squash) on each piece of squash.
- Spread 1/2 cup of pasta sauce over the chicken and and sprinkle with 4 ounces of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the squash back in the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and enjoy!
Download Your Free Copy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!