Decadent fudgy Almond Joy Brownies have a layer of sweet coconut filling and crunchy almonds, all topped with a layer of chocolate ganache. The perfect brownie for any Almond Joy lover!
Can you believe that there are people out there who hate coconut? I actually used to be one of those people, and the Almond Joy candy bar is what converted me. I think I just wasn’t fond of the idea of coconut, then when I actually tried it I realized it was, in fact, delicious. Fast forward many years and Almond Joy are now one of my favorite candy bars.
Around the holidays my Mother In Law makes these chocolate covered coconut candy ball things (no idea what they are called) but they are really delicious and basically taste like homemade Almond Joy. I tasted some of the filling by itself and knew it would taste pretty darn fabulous sandwiched in between layers of fudgy brownie.
So that’s precisely what I did! These have a layer of brownie, a layer of coconut, almonds and that’s all topped with a small layer of chocolate ganache.
Get more great recipes like this one on our Real Housemoms Best Dessert Recipes pin board!
- 3/4 cups butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup whole almonds
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F°. Spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Mix in cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt until well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan before topping.
- While brownies are baking and cooling, make the coconut filling and ganche.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sweetened condensed milk, shredded coconut and powdered sugar until well combined
- Place chopped chocolate and butter in a medium bowl. set aside.
- In a small saucepan heat heavy cream until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and puur the cream over the chocolate. Let stand for 1-2 minutes then whisk until smooth. Let ganach cool slightly before topping the brownies.
- Scoop the coconut filling mixture onto the cooled brownies and spread into an even layer with an offset spatula. Sprinkle almonds on top of the coconut, then pour the chocolate ganache on top. Spread out the ganache into an even layer, then let cool completely in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.