I love a good and easy from-scratch cake, but I am not one for fancy cakes unless there is a special occasion. One of my favorite cakes to bake is a Texas Sheet Cake! It comes out fantastic every time and is so good and easy to make! Since I didn’t have a reason to make a whole big sheet cake, I decided to make these adorable Texas Sheet Cake Bites!
They are the very same recipe only baked in little bite-size morsels! Same fudgy frosting with nuts on top. And it made so many I have a ton in my freezer! Yup I sneak out a couple let them thaw for a few minutes and pop them into my mouth! So so good! Everyone needs a little chocolate in their lives don’t you think? I know I do, and these little bites are a perfect fix for those cravings!
Here’s a little tip if you don’t have buttermilk you can use sour milk instead. To make sour milk just add 1 teaspoon of vinegar into one cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes and it will start to curdle! I have used this substitution a million times in this recipe and it always turns out great! I hate having to buy a whole carton of buttermilk for a small amount used in a recipe!
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or sour milk - see noes)
- 2 eggs
- Prepare mini muffin tins either line with mini paper liners or use a baking spray that has flour in it. Spray pans liberally. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine water, cocoa powder, and butter in heavy sauce pan, bring to a boil. Remove from heat, pour over dry ingredients, mix together until just combined. Add buttermilk and eggs. Blend well. Batter will be thin.
- With a small 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop place one scoop of batter in each muffin cup. Bake in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until cakes bounce back when lightly touched. Remove from oven. If liners were not used let bites cool for about 10 minuets then using the tip of a knife gently remove from the pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
- In a medium sauce pan heat milk, butter and cocoa until bubbly. Mix in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add in nuts and blend until incorporated. Carefully spoon about a tablespoon of frosting over each bite and let frosting set (if you can) before eating! Enjoy!
If you like these little gems you might like these as well!