I’m so excited for you guys to try these homemade Oreos!!!! These have a little twist though. No, not just the adorable heart shape. The cookies have a bit of cinnamon in them making them officially Mexican Hot Chocolate Oreos. My oldest, little monkey told me that they are better than Oreos! That’s seriously like winning an award. This little guys is picky. Not just, no eating vegetables, but he is even picky about the kind of dessert he eats. So you can be sure that these homemade Oreos are better, even with the change.
I HAD to make a cute heart shaped cookie for Valentine’s Day. I love these, my family loves these and I know you’ll love these Homemade Oreos!
- 1 stick 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 c powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- red food coloring
- in a large bowl cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy
- mix in the egg and vanilla
- in a med bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- mix flour mixture into butter mixture in three batches
- put dough into a plastic bag and flatten out into a flat disc
- refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 inch
- use a heart shaped cookie cutter and cut out cookies
- place on a parchment lined cookie sheet
- bake for 12 min
- remove to cool on a wire rack
- while the cookies cool make the filling
- in an electric mixer whip together butter and shortening until fluffy
- add in vanilla extract
- mix int powdered sugar a little at a time
- add food coloring until pink
- Once cookies are cooled frost the bottom of half of the cookies with 1 tablespoon of filling then place second cookie on top
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!