Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a quick and easy dish for Mexican night! Make it your own with your favorite toppings for a cheesy, flavorful meal!
My family loves green chile chicken enchiladas, but all that frying, filling and rolling takes a lot of time! I wanted to be able to make something delicious without losing my afternoon. This Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole tastes just like the traditional enchiladas you love. However, they take way less time to get to the dinner table!
Looking for another spin on the classic enchiladas? Try our One Pot Enchilada Soup for a deliciously hearty soup with leftovers for days and a night of easy cleanup!
GREEN CHILI CHICKEN ENCHILADA CASSEROLE
Like this recipe? Pin it to your CASSEROLE board!
Follow Real Housemoms on Pinterest
Served up with a little sour cream, chips & salsa, or even guacamole. It’s sure to be a hit with the entire family! The use of green chilis plus green chili enchilada sauce gives this dish extra chili flavor! The extra layer of cheese in the middle is a great touch, too.
Every time I make this dish, it’s always different. I use whatever toppings I have around the house so the finished casserole gets its own flair each time.
I like to have sour cream, salsa, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, and jalapeños on hand when I make this chicken enchilada casserole.
Ingredients for Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Cooked chicken breasts – canned chicken or rotisserie chicken also work in a pinch
- Shredded cheddar cheese or shredded Monterey jack cheese (I like a blend of both)
- Sour cream
- Canned diced green chilis
- Green chili enchilada sauce
- Corn tortillas
- Cream of chicken soup
- Salt and pepper
If you want to give this dish an extra kick, throw in some jalapeños or a little cayenne pepper! I like my green chili enchiladas a little spicier, but my kids don’t, so go crazy with toppings!
This enchilada casserole spends most of its prep time in the oven. So kick back with a frozen margarita and enjoy the wait!
How to Make Green Chili Enchiladas
- Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
- While the oven is heating up, mix together your filling. Add the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, some of the enchilada sauce, and a little salt and pepper to a mixing bowl. Then, add the diced or shredded chicken and green chilis and mix it all up.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce in the bottom of your baking dish and spread it. You want the entire surface covered in sauce. After that, cover the saucy bottom with a few tortillas. I usually cut or tear one to fill in the gaps.
- Spread one-third of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Then pour some more enchilada sauce over the filling and cover with more tortillas. Repeat this process until you have three layers of chicken, sauce, and tortillas. Be sure to add a layer of cheese after your second layer of chicken and enchilada sauce. Like you’re building a lasagna!
- Top the third layer of filling with more tortillas and the remaining enchilada sauce. You want to make sure to cover all the tortillas with sauce to keep them from drying out in the oven.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese all over the top of the casserole. Then bake it for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling.
- Take the casserole out of the oven, and let it rest for a few minutes after cooking. This will get you the cleanest slices when you go to serve it up. Add toppings as you wish and enjoy!
Want a touch more heat? Add your favorite spicy elements in the first step! You can also top your casserole with hot sauce, fresh jalapeños, or a spicy salsa for an extra kick!
If you make this casserole ahead of time, cover it with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge. When your ready to bake, take the plastic off and add another 10 to 15 minutes to the cooking time.
What to serve with Green Chili Chicken Enchiladas
I love Mexican food night at our house because I have so many options for main dishes and sides! Mexican rice and these delicious black beans are an easy staple to whip up alongside green chili enchiladas.
It gives those Mexican restaurant vibes at home. Looking for a spin on the standard side of rice? Try our Mexican Mango Rice Salad packed with flavor!
My kids LOVE when I make Mexican Street Corn. I love this Skinny Mexican Street Corn – it swaps the butter and mayo for yummy Greek yogurt. This gives you the same deliciously smothered corn taste without all the extra fat! This recipe can be done for corn on the cob or off.
Need a dessert to end the night? Everyone loves the hands-on look of Fried Ice Cream, and the taste in this recipe doesn’t miss either! Our Mexican Chocolate Cannoli Dip is another great way to use your excess tortillas AND eat chocolate. Win-win!
In a casserole state of mind? Try…
- Easy Cheesy Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
- Taco Casserole
- Mini Twice Baked Casserole
- Overnight Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- More easy casserole recipes
Tools used to make Green Chili Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Casserole Dish: I LOVE this casserole dish because it’s great for casseroles, brownies, sliders, and more. It comes with a lid for easy food storage and lasts forever!
*This post originally posted on 06/08/2015.
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 4 ounce canned diced green chilis drained if needed
- 15 ounces canned green chili enchilada sauce
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, 1/3 cup enchilada sauce, salt, and pepper. Add chicken and diced green chilis. Mix until everything is combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup enchilada sauce into the bottom of an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan and spread it out until the bottom is covered. Use 3 tortillas to cover the bottom of the pan. I cut or tear them in half to fill gaps.
- Spread 1/3 of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. Cover chicken mixture with 1/3 cup enchilada sauce. Use 3 more tortillas to cover the first layer.
- Add another 1/3 of the chicken mixture and spread out over the tortillas. Add 1/3 cup of enchilada sauce and 1 cup shredded cheese over the chicken mixture. Using 3 more tortillas, cover the second layer.
- Add remaining chicken mixture and spread over tortillas. Add another 1/3 cup enchilada sauce over chicken mixture. Cover the third layer with remaining tortillas.
- Using remaining sauce, pour over the entire top of the casserole. Try to cover as much of the tortillas as possible to keep them from drying out while the casserole bakes. Spread the remaining cup of cheese over the top of the sauce.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cheese is melted and casserole nice and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving for easy to serve portions.