What’s not to love about a delicious Caprese Salad? It has tons of ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, and tons of mozzarella drizzled with a balsamic vinegar dressing…mmmm…so good! So why not turn it into an amazing Caprese Pasta Salad. All the flavors, but in a more hearty pasta form so it could be a side dish or even a meatless main dish. Plus, since it’s a cold dish, it’s perfect for summer.
The colors are just beautiful in this pasta dish. I just love looking at it before I toss it and it just makes me smile. But then, I get to eat it and it’s absolutely perfect!
If you’d like to turn it into more of the main dish and feel like it needs a bit more, try adding a piece of grilled chicken that’s been chilled and diced. However, it really doesn’t need anything else to make it a great meal.
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced in half long ways
- 1 cup diced mozzarella
- 3 tbls finely sliced fresh basil
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 cup olive oil +2 tbls
- 2 tsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- *Plan ahead...this needs time to chill.*
- Cook penne in a large pot of boiling water until al dente (about 10 minutes). Carefully drain and place in large serving bowl. Toss with 2 tbls oil to coat and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Cool for at least one hour. Add in tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Toss to combine.
- In a mason jar or small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, sugar, and salt. Stir or replace lid and shake well to blend. Pour over pasta and gently toss to coat.