Super simple and air-fryer fast, these cheesy, melt-in-your-mouth sausage balls are an easy appetizer recipe for any event!
Savory Air Fryer Cheddar and Sausage Balls might be the best appetizer ever! These savory bite-sized snacks are a definite upgrade from the traditional Bisquick sausage ball recipe, and they only take 10 minutes to make and 6 minutes to “bake” – so easy!
Starting with only three essential ingredients – sausage, cheddar cheese, and Jiffy corn muffin mix – and seasoned to perfection with garlic, Italian seasoning, and dry mustard – these mouthwatering morsels are SO good. They will disappear fast!
Sausage Balls Aren’t Just for Breakfast Anymore!
If your family is like mine, cheesy sausage balls are a traditional breakfast food, especially for Thanksgiving morning or Christmas brunch. We all love them!
But this recipe for Air Fryer Sausage Balls is miles above the ordinary! The unique seasonings and corn muffin mix move these mouthwatering morsels from the breakfast table to an amazing anytime appetizer! Perfect for nibbling, dipping, and enjoying at every event!
Other Sausage Breakfast Recipes
Now that you’ll want to make the Air-Fryer Cheddar & Sausage Balls for later-in-the-day holiday appetizers try these delicious breakfast options:
- Protein-filled Pancake Sausage Bites are a yummy treat the kids will devour!
- Cheesy Sausage, Egg and Hashbrown Cups are fancy, filling, and so pretty on your family breakfast buffet!
Sausage: Ground sausage! You have so much flexibility here, from mild to spicy, from breakfast sausage to Italian, pork to turkey to vegan sausage. Do whatever works for you!
Cheese: Cheddar is the winner here! Mixing medium and sharp cheddar gives the perfect flavor for the sausage balls, but again, use your favorite cheddar cheese!
Carb: The unique flavor of this recipe starts with a box of Jiffy corn muffin mix!
Seasonings: Dry mustard, garlic, and Italian seasoning elevate these sausage balls to something special!
How to Make Air Fryer Cheddar Sausage Balls
STEP ONE: Mix the corn muffin mix, all the seasonings, and the uncooked sausage in a medium bowl.
STEP TWO: Add in the shredded cheddar until everything is well blended.
STEP THREE: Roll the sausage mixture into bite-sized balls (about 1.5 tablespoons) and place them in the air-fryer basket. You can use a medium cookie scoop or a measuring spoon to portion the sausage.
STEP FOUR: Cook in the air fryer at 390 degrees for 3 minutes. Flip the sausage balls, then cook for another 3 minutes until golden brown. Serve with toothpicks, and enjoy the sausage balls and the compliments!
Tips for Success
- If you don’t have an air fryer, don’t worry! Just bake your sausage balls in the oven at 375 degrees for 22 minutes – they should be perfect!
- You can use a meat thermometer to check that your sausage balls reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Parchment paper in the bottom of your air fryer basket makes it easier to turn and remove your sausage balls after cooking.
- While Jiffy corn muffin mix is not gluten-free, you could still easily make these with a gluten-free substitute!
Why are my sausage balls falling apart?
If your sausage balls are crumbly and not holding together, it’s probably due to using packaged shredded cheddar instead of block cheese. It’s worth the 2 minutes it takes to shred the cheese yourself. This ensures your sausage balls will be moist and yummy! Pre-shredded cheese contains cellulose to keep it from sticking together in the package, but…it also keeps the cheese from sticking together in your recipes!
Can I Freeze Sausage Balls?
Cheddar & Sausage Balls freeze beautifully! Cook the sausage balls per the recipe instructions, then cool. When they reach room temperature, please place them in a freezer-safe container for up to three months! To reheat, toss them in the microwave, wrap them in foil, and warm them in the oven.
Other Easy Appetizers to Enjoy!
- Crab-Stuffed Mushrooms
- Chicken Artichoke Bites
- Cranberry Brie Cups
- Smoked Salmon Crostini
- Sausage Stuffed Cherry Peppers
- BLT Endive Bites
- Cracker Canapes
- Bacon-Wrapped Smokies
- Add the sausage, corn muffin mix, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and dry mustard to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands or a rubber spatula to mix until evenly combined.
- Add the shredded cheese to the bowl and mix into the sausage. (I highly recommend buying a block of cheese and shredding it yourself.)
- Use a medium cookie scoop to portion the sausage mixture (about 1 1/2 tablespoons each). Use your hands to roll the scoops into balls and then place the meatballs into the air fryer basket. (You'll need to work in batches so you don't crowd the basket.)
- Set your air fryer to 390 degrees F. Cook the meatballs for 3 minutes. Use tongs to flip the meatballs over, and then cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the sausage balls from the air fryer and serve warm or at room temperature.
- You can use Italian sausage instead of breakfast sausage for a different flavor. Try swapping out the cheddar cheese for mozzarella, too!
- Putting parchment paper in the bottom of your air fryer basket is optional, but it makes it easier to rotate the meatballs midway through cooking. You can buy air fryer parchment paper or buy the regular rolls and cut it down to size.