No untensils neded when you make these ROASTED SWEET POTATO TOSTADAS! They’re the ultimate finger food!
Who can say no to chili scented roasted sweet potatoes, smashed black beans, cheese, salsa and avocado served up on a crisp corn tortilla?! Not me. That’s for sure!
I love the combination of sweet potatoes, black beans and avocado. I use these three ingredients together at least once a week for my family’s meals. Something about this trifecta is super satisfying and easy to incorporate into so many recipes.
Oh yea, and they are incredibly healthy for you! In fact, all three are on my “superfood” list and here’s why:
Sweet Potatoes: Loaded with antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber, which can help with controlling glucose levels.
Black Beans: Help lower cholesterol naturally due to their high fiber, antioxidants, folic acid and magnesium content.
Avocados: An excellent source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which may combat inflammation in the body.
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a bowl, toss together sweet potato cubes, olive oil, chili powder and salt. Transfer onto a baking sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until tender and slightly golden.
- In a small saucepan add black beans, water, garlic and cumin. Simmer until water is reduced by half. Remove from heat and smash into a paste using a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, lightly brush tortillas with olive oil. Place on a cookie sheet and bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes or until crispy, flipping once.
- Top crispy tortillas with a heaping tablespoon of smashed black beans and cheese. Return to oven for a few minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and add roasted sweet potatoes, salsa, avocado and scallions.
Here’s another recipe from Begin Within Nutrition combining sweet potatoes and black beans!