I have a bit of a hoarding problem. There are a couple of things in my house that I can’t let go of and the piles grow bigger and bigger until someone in my family steps in. What is it I can’t let go of you ask?
Plastic bags and bananas. There are pictures of me (thanks to my husband) sitting on the floor completely covered in all the plastic bags I’d stuffed under the kitchen sink to use later. You never know when you’re gonna need a bag for something. If I throw them away I feel like I’m throwing away money when I could use them for free trash bags in the bathrooms. It’s a real problem that I’m trying to get under control and I have faith I’ll get there. 😉
Bananas. My family loves them but they love them in phases. Some weeks I can’t buy them fast enough. It seems like as soon as I hang them up and turn around they’re gone! Other weeks they just sit there. And sit there. And sit there. Instead of tossing them in the trash I toss them in the freezer. And toss them in the freezer. And toss them in the freezer until I have such a huge pile I could supply all the bake sales in a 60 mile radius with banana bread!
When we moved to OR from AZ I had to throw away (because no one would take my entire stock) something like 10 lbs of bananas. Whoops. Making the move gave me the opportunity to wipe the slate clean and New Year’s remotivated me to stay on top of my banana pile. I want to keep things clean and under control. Wish me luck!
These pancakes were a way to get some of my bananas in my tummy and out of my freezer. We eat a lot of banana pancakes but these really stepped up my pancake game. I got my kids to eat oatmeal, for the first time ever! They don’t taste heavy at all even with the oatmeal and the whole wheat flour. My entire family loved them and so did I. Pancakes usually don’t fill me up for long but these had so much fiber in them that I was satisfied for hours after eating just two! Give them a shot and your tummy will thank me. 🙂
- 1 1/2 c oatmeal
- 1 c buttermilk
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 c frozen blueberries
- 1 c frozen blackberries
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 T water
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- in a small bowl combine the oatmeal and buttermilk and let sit for 15 min
- in a med bowl combine both flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
- in a large bowl beat eggs and add milk, mashed banana and buttermilk with oatmeal
- dump in dry ingredients and stir until just combined
- Heat skillet to med high heat or if using an electric skillet 350 degrees and spray with cooking spray
- pour 1/4 c worth of pancake batter onto heated skillet and cook until bubbles form then flip
- remove once browned on both sides and keep warm while cooking the rest of the pancakes
- add all ingredients to a med saucepan and cook over med heat and bring to a boil
- stir occasionally and break up berries
- pour over pancakes and enjoy!