BANANA CUPCAKES WITH SALTED CARAMEL FROSTING are homemade goodness. Lovely enough for special occasions, but easy enough for everyday treats!
Got ripe bananas? It seems like I always have ripe bananas on hand or in the freezer. But, all I can ever think about making with them is banana bread. To be honest, that gets a little boring after a while. So, when I stumbled on an easy recipe to make banana cake from scratch, I knew exactly what was going to be made with the ripe bananas I had sitting on the counter!
This banana cake recipe could not be any easier! No need to drag out a mixer to whip this cake together. Just grab a wooden spoon or a whisk to combine everything. Wet ingredients, along with the banana, are whipped together in a blender (or use a Magic Bullet type mixer) and then stirred into the dry ingredients. It doesn’t get much easier than that. This recipe yields about 12 standard sized cupcakes.
This cake is tender and moist. Sometimes when I make banana cake from scratch, it ends up dense like a muffin or quick bread. That is not the case with this recipe. The cake is a little denser than a boxed mix, but still light enough to be considered a cake. It has a really lovely crumb. I just love it!
Can I just say, the salted caramel frosting is…well…the icing on the cake, so-to-speak. The salted caramel flavor matches up so well with the banana flavor of the cupcake. I can’t think of a better way to top these beauties. This is the kind of cupcake everyone will want to sink their teeth into!
What are you waiting for? Grab some ripe bananas and whip up a batch of these delicious cupcakes for someone you love today! No special occasion needed!
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 small ripe bananas, peeled (or 1 med)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk (or milk)
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup softened, unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. caramel flavoring (find by extracts)
- 1 TBS cream or milk, if needed
- salted caramel syrup, for drizzle (optional)
- dried banana chips, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard sized muffin tin with cupcakes liners.
- In large bowl, combine the flour granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender or Magic Bullet type blender, add banana(s), buttermilk, vanilla extract, eggs, and vegetable oil. Blend until smooth.
- Pour banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until JUST combined. Do not over mix!
- Portion batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 -20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Remove from pan onto wire rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, combine the butter and the salt.
- Beat in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating after each addition until smooth.
- Beat in caramel flavoring.
- Add in milk, if needed, and beat to spreading consistency.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Drizzle with salted caramel syrup and garnish with dried banana chips, if desired.
More Delicious Cupcake Recipes!