Copycat Famous Dave’s Sweet Mama’s Punch is a refreshingly fruity drink that’s perfect for warm summer days and hanging out with friends!
Summertime was made for backyard shenanigans with friends and cool sweet drinks like Copycat Famous Dave’s Sweet Mama’s Punch! Combine delicious pineapple and orange juice, rum, sweet and sour mix, amaretto, and grenadine to make the perfect summer drink for all your friends!
Sometimes it’s so hot in July and August I just step outside and say, “Sweet Mama, it’s hot!”, which is good because it reminds me to run to the store to get all of the ingredients I need to make Sweet Mama’s Punch! When friends and family are planning on heading over with tons of unique appetizers and goodies to grill, I know everyone is going to want a cold glass of Sweet Mama’s Punch, the perfect drink for all of our summer get-togethers!
Rainbow Sherbet Punch will put guests of all ages in a party mood, and Watermelon Stars with Fruit Dip is sure to keep everyone cool enough to keep the party going!
Other Recipes to Serve with Copycat Famous Dave’s Sweet Mama’s Punch
- Jalapeno Lime Chicken Wings are at the top of everyone’s must-have list; thankfully, Sweet Mama’s Punch will help cut that heat!
- No BBQ is complete without a massive helping of deliciously smoky Aunt Patti’s BBQ Baked Beans!
Juice: You will need both pineapple and orange juice for this drink.
Liquor: Pick up Bacardi Rum and Amaretto to make this punch. You’ll also need sweet and sour mix and grenadine and while both are non-alcoholic, they are more easily found at the liquor store.
Soda: Everything is more fun with some bubbles, so purchase 7UP to splash into the punch.
Garnish: Skewer an orange slice and a few maraschino cherries to garnish each drink.
How to Make Copycat Famous Dave’s Sweet Mama’s Punch
STEP ONE: Pour ice into a large glass, such as a hurricane glass, and top with orange juice, pineapple juice, sweet and sour, amaretto, and rum.
STEP TWO: Drizzle the grenadine slowly so it sinks to the bottom of the glass and then add a splash of 7UP.
STEP THREE: Garnish the drink with cherries and orange slices and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Easily make Sweet Mama’s Punch for a crowd by multiplying the number of drinks you want to make and the amount of each ingredient and combining the drink in a pitcher! For example, if you’re going to make enough for four people, mix 8 ounces of orange and pineapple juice, sweet and sour, and rum, along with 4 ounces of amaretto. Pour the drink into glasses filled with ice and then add the grenadine, 7UP, and garnish.
- Add the grenadine slowly so that it sinks to the bottom, creating a beautifully colored layered effect!
- Silver Bacardi or other light rum is preferred in this recipe, as dark or spiced rums would be too heavy for this cocktail.
What’s the difference between Sweet Mama’s Punch and other fruit cocktails?
Sweet Mama’s Punch and other drinks like a Hurricane or a Bahama Mama share similar ingredients but are subtly different enough that you can quickly tell them apart. Some of these drinks are made with the same juices and rum but may have added coconut milk or coconut rum or other tropical fruit juices like passionfruit. Sweet Mama’s have a different refreshing flavor thanks to the light rum and the addition of amaretto.
How do I keep Sweet Mama’s cool in the summer heat?
To keep this drink and any other cocktails, you may be serving at summer parties cool for as long as possible, refrigerate the ingredients beforehand! When you start with chilled ingredients, the ice won’t melt as quickly, keeping your drink cooler and less water. If your bar is outdoors, try to keep as many ingredients stashed in a cooler as you can to help keep everything cool.
More Summer punch recipes to enjoy!
- Pineapple Rum Punch
- Tropical Party Punch Recipe
- Cranberry Vodka Punch
- Tropical Orange Punch
- Strawberry & Lime Moscato Punch
*This post was originally posted on 08/02/2013.
- Fill a tall glass or mason jar with ice. Pour the orange juice, pineapple juice, sweet and sour, sum, and amaretto into the glass. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the grenadine slowly so it falls to the bottom of the glass. Then top off the cocktail with a splash of lemon-lime soda.
- Garnish with a maraschino cherry and an orange slice on a toothpick. Serve immediately.