Get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes with these Fish and Vegetable Foil Dinner!
Recently my husband and I have been trying to eat healthier. We have been adding more vegetables to our diet along with chicken and fish. I love that we are changing our eating habits, but sometimes to make healthier choices I end up spending more time in the kitchen preparing dinner and then cleaning up. My mother in law made these fish and vegetable foil dinner packets one night and they have now become a staple in our weekly menu plan.
I really have become a fan of foil dinners because not only is clean up a breeze, but these are prepped and ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. To put these foil dinners together, lay your piece of foil down and put the vegetables you are using down first. You can sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder over your veggies if you like more seasoning on your food. I love seasoning my food, so add it at this stage. I used bell peppers, zucchini, squash and asparagus for these foil dinners.
I bought some tilapia filets in the frozen food section of the grocery store. The ones I bought came in individual packs and I just pulled out what I needed and let them thaw in the fridge over night. I placed the fish filets on top of the vegetables and sprinkled some seasonings over the top. Then I added some lemon juice and lemon slices. If you don’t like fish, you can make chicken foil dinner packets.
Then just wrap the foil around the fish and vegetables. Make sure the ends and edges are well sealed to keep the heat and juices in the packets for cooking. These are cooked on the BBQ grill on high (about 400 – 450 degrees) and just placed the foil packet right on the grill, 4-5 minutes on each side. Make sure the lid is closed to keep all that heat in the grill.
Get more great recipes like this one on our Real Housemoms Dinner pin board!
- 4 frozen tilapia fillets thawed
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 20 spears)
- 2 bell peppers any color - chopped
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1-2 lemons cut into slices
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Lay 4 foil pieces down on the counter. Each piece should be about 16 inches long.
- Wash and cut the ends off the asparagus spears. Lay down 5-6 spears on each piece of foil.
- Wash and slice yellow squash and zucchini. Lay 3-5 slices of each over the asparagus.
- Add chopped bell peppers along the sides of the asparagus.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Lay tilapia fillets over vegetables.
- Sprinkle lemon juice over top of fish, about 1/2 teaspoon per fillet.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then lay 1 or 2 slices of fresh lemon over the top of each fish.
- Wrap up the foil around the fish and veggies making a packet.
- Cook on a grill set to high (about 400 - 450 degrees) for 4 - 5 minutes on EACH side.
- Remove from grill and carefully open the packets. Serve immediately.
The fish is cooked perfectly. You can even squeeze more lemon juice over the top before you serve it. I used these vegetables and fish because that is what I like. If you wanted to try different vegetables or fish, go for it! You may have to adjust cooking time depending on what types you use. Just keep that in mind and I say use what you like.
We love quick and easy meals at our house and this one is just that. Another one of our favorites is this taco salad.