Everybody raves over Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup. It’s a super easy, crave-worthy meal that tastes just like your favorite casserole!
Creamy Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup combines all the mouthwatering goodness of the classic Texas casserole into a super easy slow-cooker soup! This savory recipe with chicken, cheese, onions & peppers, Rotel, cream cheese, and all the distinctive Mexican seasonings will be one of your family’s new favorite meals!
A Healthy, Delicious and EASY Soup
I LOVE soup season, don’t you? Favorites like homemade Chicken Noodles or classic French Onion…there’s something so warm and comforting about a big, hearty bowl of delicious soup that makes my heart happy! Mmmhhmmm!
This Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup is EXACTLY the comfort food you’re looking for! It’s creamy, cheesy, and SO satisfying, but it’s also loaded with onions, peppers, tomatoes, protein and spices – plus it’s low in carbs – so you can feel great about feeding this to your family!
Let me tell you, there are TONS of variations on this recipe you can find, but this one is the EASIEST and, in my opinion, the very best! No making a roux, cooking a chicken, or sauteeing – just chop, toss, and hit the button! This is a WIN!
Other Recipes to Serve with King Ranch Chicken Soup
- If you’re looking for another southwest-inspired soup, this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is as yummy as the King Ranch (but uses less cheese)!
- No Tex-Mex meal is complete with a killer recipe for fresh guacamole! It makes a fantastic soup-topper or sharable chip-dipper!
Soup Stock: This soup uses chicken broth, butter, and a large can of creamy mushroom soup to give it a multi-layered flavor.
Soup Basics: The heart of this recipe is a block of cream cheese and 2 cups of cooked chicken – so much creamy, meaty texture!
Veggies: Onion, garlic, diced bell pepper, and a couple of cans of Rotel give this King Ranch soup its bright flavor.
Seasoning: We add more cumin and chili powder to a packet of taco seasoning for extra flavor.
Garnish: Top this fabulous soup with a sprinkling of fresh cilantro and shredded Mexican cheese, and serve with tortilla chips!
How to Make Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup
STEP ONE: Into a crock pot, toss in the butter, chicken broth, mushroom soup, Rotel, onion, garlic, bell pepper, taco seasoning, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
STEP TWO: At the end of the cooking time, add the cubed cream cheese and stir until melted and combined.
STEP THREE: Garnish with grated cheese & cilantro and serve in your favorite soup bowls! YUM!
Tips for Success
- Choose your Rotel type (it comes in 3 heat levels) and the amount of chili powder that suits you, from mild to “make your ears smoke” spicy!
- Of course, you can cook your chicken to start, but a store-bought rotisserie chicken works fantastic and cuts the prep time to almost nothing!
- This soup can also be made on the stovetop! Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Sautee the onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes until softened, stirring often. Then, add the remaining ingredients from step 1. Cook the soup uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cream cheese cubes until melted and combined. That’s it!
What is King Ranch Chicken Casserole?
The origins of the King Ranch Chicken Casserole aren’t known, but rumor has it this casserole is the official state casserole of Texas and originated at the King Ranch in south Texas. We don’t care where this Tex-Mex wonder came from…we want to eat it!
This casserole is made with onion, bell peppers, cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, Rotel, chicken broth, sour cream, cumin, chili, powder, oregano, chipotle powder, shredded cooked chicken, shredded cheese, and corn tortillas. You mix it all up and bake it for a fabulous meal!
How do I store the leftovers of Crock Pot King Ranch Chicken Soup?
Once the soup cools, place the leftover soup in a storage container with a secure lid. This soup will be good for 4-5 additional days.
Other Casseroles-turned-Soup Recipes!
- Creamy Wild Rice and Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Corned Beef Cabbage Chowder
- One Pot White Chicken Lasagna Soup
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Spinach Artichoke Chicken Soup
- One Pot Enchilada Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion peeled & chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic peeled & minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded & diced
- 20 ounces Rotel (2 cans)
- 18 ounces creamy mushroom soup (1 can)
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 1 ounce taco seasoning (1 packet)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend for serving
- Chopped cilantro for serving (optional)
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Add the butter, onion, garlic, bell pepper, rotel, mushroom soup, chicken, taco seasoning, chicken broth, cumin and chili powder to the crock pot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes. Add the cubes to the slow cooker and stir until melted and combined.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, and tortilla chip pieces. Serve warm.