PESTO PIZZA is the best way to enjoy your basil and tomato harvest! It is fantastic for lunch, dinner or even an appetizer with friends!
I was at the grocery store the other day and came across, fresh, handmade mozzarella cheese. It was made that day!!! I love fresh mozzarella cheese and learning to make it is on my bucket list. As soon as I saw it I bought the last two and decided I was going to use my Homemade Pesto Sauce to make a Pesto Pizza. I was cruising around the produce section when I came across the biggest tomatoes that were grown at a local farm. I love that I’m surrounded by farms here in Oregon! I decided to stock up and use them on my pizza too! It has a real caprese salad feel to it.
Real Housemoms TV
I love using my Easy Peasey Pizza Dough. It only has to rise for 10 minutes and there are only 4 ingredients. It really couldn’t be easier!!! For Pesto Pizza the fresh mozzarella doesn’t really shred great because it’s soft. I first thought I’d slice it thin and then place the slices on the pizza but as I went I decided to tear them to smaller pieces. That way I got a good even coverage of cheese on the pizza as it melted. If you can’t find fresh handmade mozzarella cheese you can totally make this with the balls of mozzarella cheese that you can find in the store. I would only use a block of part skim mozzarella for this pizza as a last resort. You wouldn’t really get the same taste with it. I used a huge tomato but you could very easily use smaller tomatoes, just grab whatever looks the best at the store.
When I made pesto pizza my husband and I couldn’t stop eating it!!! We polished off the entire thing by ourselves in a matter of minutes. I loved it so much I made it again just a couple of days later! I will definitely be making this for our friends this summer too!
Want more dinner inspiration? Be sure to follow our Dinner Time! Pinterest board!
- Easy Peasey Pizza Dough
- 1/4 cup of corn meal
- 1/4 cup Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella sliced then torn into pieces
- 1 large tomato cut into slices
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
- prepare Easy Peasey Pizza Dough according to recipe
- spread corn meal onto pizza pan or pizza stone (prevents the dough from sticking)
- using your hands stretch the dough to about 12 inches or your desired thickness
- lay dough onto the pizza pan
- spread the Homemade Pesto Sauce on the pizza dough leaving a 1 inch border around the edges
- brush the edge of the dough with olive oil
- spread out the pieces of mozzarella cheese evenly over the pesto sauce
- then layer with the tomatoes evenly on top
- place in the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly golden
- allow to cool for a minute or two then slice and enjoy!
Download your FREE copy of Dinner Made Easy!
Sign up to receive our newsletter and download your copy of Dinner Made Easy FREE! You'll get one email a week with our favorite recipes and tools to make life easy!